Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Psychodidae True Fly Larva from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This wild-looking little thing completely puzzled me. At first I was thinking beetle or month larva, until I got a look at the pictures on the computer screen. I made a couple of incorrect guesses before entomologist Greg Courtney pointed me in the right direction with Psychodidae. He suggested a possible genus of Thornburghiella, but could not rule out some other members of the tribe Pericomini.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Apr 5, 2014April 5th, 2014, 7:45 pm EDT
Spring has arrived. Nice to see some upright wings and wild fish looking up!

Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Apr 5, 2014April 5th, 2014, 10:02 pm EDT
Eric-

Ephemerella subvaria female subimago?
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Crepuscular
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Apr 6, 2014April 6th, 2014, 3:59 am EDT
Eric-

Ephemerella subvaria female subimago?

Yes. I can't tell you how happy I was to see them.
Catskilljon
Upstate NY

Catskilljon on Apr 6, 2014April 6th, 2014, 8:29 am EDT
Ohh man...I guess it had to happen soon somewhere. In the Catskill's, things are not looking as promising, at least for a few more weeks. I took some stream temps Saturday and didn't find any water over 36*. The ground water table is max full, and with 14" of snow on the headwater stream banks and air temps in the 20's at night, I don't predict even the quill gordons will show for a while.

How about some trout pics too Eric? :) CJ
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 6, 2014April 6th, 2014, 9:39 am EDT
Yes, Eric, and how exactly was the fishing? We're gonna be slow around here for a while...show us some inspiration!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Crepuscular
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Apr 6, 2014April 6th, 2014, 12:47 pm EDT
The fishing was excellent. I didn't take too many pics of fish. I caught a bunch and they were all nice wild fish.

JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Apr 6, 2014April 6th, 2014, 2:54 pm EDT
I'll vouch for Eric's report. I followed it up today and every fish was caught on top on either Hendrickson or Grannom.
Now if I could just figure out how to put photos in an existing thread.
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Catskilljon
Upstate NY

Catskilljon on Apr 6, 2014April 6th, 2014, 4:41 pm EDT
You guys are my hero's! Thanks for the pics and reports, wont be long for us guys fishing up north! CJ
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Apr 6, 2014April 6th, 2014, 5:21 pm EDT
If I weren't so fond of Eric and John I'd be jealous. :)

Good stuff boys! I know I feel just a tad warmer and hopeful.

Spence

Both of them sent me pics and I don't have a photo account anywhere or I'd post them for John...Should work on getting one. These boys are blessed to call the Cumberland home...It always seems to be a few weeks ahead of my neck of the woods.
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Apr 6, 2014April 6th, 2014, 7:01 pm EDT
Ahhhhhhhh. I can feel the joy and relief from here.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 7, 2014April 7th, 2014, 12:58 pm EDT
Pretty fish Eric! Those browns seem particularly crisp when they come out of cold waters. Any sizeable ones?

I just finished taking a walk on the trails along the lower Au Sable. LOTS of snow in some parts of the woods, not much to none in others. I don't expect to be seeing Hennies for a little while yet around here...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Gus
Gus's profile picture
colorado

Gus on Apr 14, 2014April 14th, 2014, 7:56 am EDT
Beautiful fish!
"How do you help that son of a bitch?"

"By taking him fishing"

-A River Runs Through It

www.jsrods.com

Quick Reply