Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123 has attached these 5 pictures. The message is below.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 20, 2011May 20th, 2011, 6:19 pm EDT
Some have said that it's too early in the year for topwater action, but these fish beg to differ! The sunnie looks like a possible green/pumpkinseed hybrid. I couldn't believe I was nailing sunfish on bass poppers! I probably hooked about half of them that hit. And are they ever FAT - they're built like little tanks and fight like them too! Several times I was sure I had a bass on and then up comes one of these little chunkers. And as for the bass, it took me TWO HOURS and several color combinations to finally get him to hit, but when he finally did he went airborne a couple of times and bent the rod over double. Worth the wait!

It must be spawning season because fish were moving around all over the place this evening, chasing each other and flopping around like crazy. A great way to get some fly fishing in while the danged trout streams are all too high and muddy, though tomorrow I will go out again to see what's happening on the Pine. Hoping to find neither high off-color waters nor tourists...And then there's more freakin' rain due on Sunday...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on May 22, 2011May 22nd, 2011, 4:28 pm EDT
Thanks for the report. The crazy good spring fishing has already come and gone here in Missouri (although I will say it's still pretty good). There is just something about that first couple weeks when the water is warm enough for them to be up on the surface. It's my favorite time of the year for warmwater fishing. I know all about those pumpkinseed/green sunfish hybrids. They are pretty common in the lake right by my house and they are one of my favorite kinds of fish to catch.

I like the bass bugs by the way.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on May 22, 2011May 22nd, 2011, 7:22 pm EDT
You catch some impressive panfish!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 22, 2011May 22nd, 2011, 7:29 pm EDT
MO and Jason, panfish will always be near and dear to my heart. I just use flies these days instead of worms! And the waters they live in don't get blown out by the seemingly continuous rains we are getting this spring - in fact we're due for more within the next few hours, that's why I hit the trout streams today.

If you think these are impressive you should have seen the ones I caught in the San Marcos River in central Texas, beautiful blue-and-orange redbreast sunnies up to 10" long and they'll put a good hard bend in your fly rod! They also hit caddisflies in the evening just like trout do. I also once got invited to fish a private pond in Missouri that held bluegills the size of salad plates. I actually had bluegills breaking 6x tippet!! Mo, how big do they get in your neighborhood? And Jason, next time you find yourself in the south ask around about the "bream" (or "brim", or if you're in Texas, the "perch").

Jonathon

P.S. Just heard the first rumble of thunder...gonna have to wait a while for more trout fishing.
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply