Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Epeorus albertae (Heptageniidae) (Pink Lady) Mayfly Nymph from the East Fork Issaquah Creek in Washington
This specimen keys to the Epeorus albertae group of species. Of the five species in that group, the two known in Washington state are Epeorus albertae and Epeorus dulciana. Of the two, albertae has been collected in vastly more locations in Washington than dulciana, suggesting it is far more common. On that basis alone I'm tentatively putting this nymph in albertae, with the large caveat that there's no real information to rule out dulciana.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

LBrain
LBrain's profile picture
Birdsboro, PA

LBrain on Mar 3, 2017March 3rd, 2017, 10:32 am EST
Nice flies... question: I noticed the barbless, is it my imagination or are barbless flies still a rarity to purchase?

I'm gonna start learning to tie. I have a bunch of 'stuff' but need hooks. TCO carries a lot of hooks but when I was there a couple weeks ago I hadn't delved into the tying aspect of things. Just curious, as I believe most crush the barb, why don't 'they' sell more barbless flies?
Brain
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 3, 2017March 3rd, 2017, 12:13 pm EST
LBrain,

why don't 'they' sell more barbless flies?

Partridge SLD2 #10 - #18 - Barbless dry fly hooks
Partridge K4AY #8 - #16 - Standard caddis, scud, shrimp hooks
Partridge K5AY #8 - #16 - Same as above but heavier shank
Daiichi 1190 #8 - #24 - Standard dry fly hooks
Tiemco 113BLH #12 - #20 1X heavy nymph, scud hooks
Tiemco 226BL #12 - #22 1X fine caddis, emergers, parachute dry fly hooks

There are other styles and sizes but this list shows you there are quite a few barbless hooks styles and sizes available. PM me if you want the web address.

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Iasgair
Iasgair's profile picture
Colorado

Iasgair on Mar 3, 2017March 3rd, 2017, 1:20 pm EST
Wbranch just gave you a great list of hooks. Partridge is my favorite. It's only my opinion, but don't waste time on purchasing barbless hooks. Just get a barb crusher and mash the barbs down. Barbless hooks cost more, but it's entirely your decision.

I am glad to see you're choosing to go barbless and thinking of the welfare of the fish. Good job!
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Mar 3, 2017March 3rd, 2017, 2:28 pm EST
why don't 'they' sell more barbless flies?

not everyone wants a barbless hook, and barbless hooks are a little more expensive which would equate to a more expensive fly.

I am glad to see you're choosing to go barbless and thinking of the welfare of the fish. Good job!

the fish? oh yeah i guess I'm worried about their welfare ;) but not as much as my own, barbless hooks are much easier to extract from an ear than ones with a barb.

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 3, 2017March 3rd, 2017, 2:30 pm EST
Barbless hooks cost more, but it's entirely your decision.

The Daiichi barbless versus barbed dry fly hook is the same price. The other barbless hooks are 15% more per package of 25 hooks. Hardly a reason not to buy the barbless hook.

Check out this link on Ebay for discounted barbless fly tying hooks.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=partridge+barbless+fly+tying+hooks&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X+barbless+fly+tying+hooks.TRS0&_nkw=+barbless+fly+tying+hooks&_sacat=0
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply