Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Case view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
It's only barely visible in one of my pictures, but I confirmed under the microscope that this one has a prosternal horn and the antennae are mid-way between the eyes and front of the head capsule.

I'm calling this one Pycnopsyche, but it's a bit perplexing. It seems to key definitively to at least Couplet 8 of the Key to Genera of Limnephilidae Larvae. That narrows it down to three genera, and the case seems wrong for the other two. The case looks right for Pycnopsyche, and it fits one of the key characteristics: "Abdominal sternum II without chloride epithelium and abdominal segment IX with only single seta on each side of dorsal sclerite." However, the characteristic "metanotal sa1 sclerites not fused, although often contiguous" does not seem to fit well. Those sclerites sure look fused to me, although I can make out a thin groove in the touching halves in the anterior half under the microscope. Perhaps this is a regional variation.

The only species of Pycnopsyche documented in Washington state is Pycnopsyche guttifera, and the colors and markings around the head of this specimen seem to match very well a specimen of that species from Massachusetts on Bugguide. So I am placing it in that species for now.

Whatever species this is, I photographed another specimen of seemingly the same species from the same spot a couple months later.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Feathers5
Feathers5 on Oct 28, 2013October 28th, 2013, 5:43 am EDT
What is the name of the BWO hatching now? I have an eye problem or brain problem that doesn't allow me to match colors very well. I'm seeing it as a size 22-22 with a gray/brown or olive brown body; and gray wings.
Thanks
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Oct 28, 2013October 28th, 2013, 6:05 am EDT
What is the name of the BWO hatching now?

From what you are describing, I belive the name of that one is Steve
Feathers5
Feathers5 on Oct 28, 2013October 28th, 2013, 6:17 am EDT
Ha! Ha! Craps-a-lot. You're beginning to sound like me...very bad. Do you know the name of it?
Bruce
Feathers5
Feathers5 on Oct 28, 2013October 28th, 2013, 9:00 am EDT
Seriously, when I make a goofy remark people respond. When I asked a serious question, nothing!
C'Mon guys, throw a little love my way.
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Oct 28, 2013October 28th, 2013, 3:30 pm EDT
What is the name of the BWO hatching now? I have an eye problem or brain problem that doesn't allow me to match colors very well. I'm seeing it as a size 22-22 with a gray/brown or olive brown body; and gray wings.
Thanks

Okay the BWO hatching right now in Western, PA?
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Oct 28, 2013October 28th, 2013, 5:03 pm EDT
C'Mon guys, throw a little love my way.

Awww, Brucie...You know I loves ya! Screw the rest of these Troutnuts...I think Antonio & Eric still care. :)

The fly is Baetis dinkus...Right? :) Its easy now since they are all lumped together by the Boys from Purdue...Just call it tricaudatus, or maybe Acerpenna pygmaea ( once upon a time Baetis pygmaeus)...Bruce. Did you lose the copy of Ann Miller's book I gave you in April? It probably was in your waders when you took that dunk in the Little J.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Feathers5
Feathers5 on Oct 29, 2013October 29th, 2013, 5:30 am EDT
Hey Spence. I still have the book and refer to it occasionally.
Feathers5
Feathers5 on Oct 29, 2013October 29th, 2013, 5:33 am EDT
I've seen 40 insignificant posts discussing terga's and pronutums of certain bugs and I get nothing on a mainstream fly? You people are hard, oh, so hard!
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Oct 29, 2013October 29th, 2013, 6:02 am EDT
I've seen 40 insignificant posts discussing terga's and pronutums of certain bugs and I get nothing on a mainstream fly?

Take a macro photo of the genitals.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Oct 29, 2013October 29th, 2013, 6:03 am EDT
Well Bruce, it's not hard if you give us something to go on. But without a decent photo or the actual bug, it's hard to say what it is with any kind of certainty. I would need a few more details. Did it have hindwings? # of tails? There a few genera and several species that your bug might be. And many have multiple broods a year. Color is not the best character to use. (especially since you are unable to decide on one). That being said, the most common little olive we have around here is Baetis tricaudatus. But I don't think anyone can say if thats what you are seeing. So like Spence said you could always go with that. If I were you I'd call it a #22 BWO. (or Steve)
Feathers5
Feathers5 on Oct 29, 2013October 29th, 2013, 6:36 am EDT
I've seen 40 insignificant posts discussing terga's and pronutums of certain bugs and I get nothing on a mainstream fly?

Take a macro photo of the genitals.

Don't you need a microscope/camera-type thing to do that? I don't have a camera that small. Besides, how do you get them to spread their legs?
Feathers5
Feathers5 on Oct 29, 2013October 29th, 2013, 6:37 am EDT
Well Bruce, it's not hard if you give us something to go on. But without a decent photo or the actual bug, it's hard to say what it is with any kind of certainty. I would need a few more details. Did it have hindwings? # of tails? There a few genera and several species that your bug might be. And many have multiple broods a year. Color is not the best character to use. (especially since you are unable to decide on one). That being said, the most common little olive we have around here is Baetis tricaudatus. But I don't think anyone can say if thats what you are seeing. So like Spence said you could always go with that. If I were you I'd call it a #22 BWO. (or Steve)

I'll try and get a picture on Saturday. Don't count on seeing any genitals, but your own.
Falsifly
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Oct 29, 2013October 29th, 2013, 7:43 am EDT
Besides, how do you get them to spread their legs?

Use force if you have to but I wouldn’t recommend that, you may find yourself facing sexual abuse charges. It would be best if you could get one to consent. Maybe offer a full centerfold in one of the fly fishing magazines as an incentive.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Kschaefer3
Kschaefer3's profile picture
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Oct 29, 2013October 29th, 2013, 7:56 am EDT
Besides, how do you get them to spread their legs?

Use force if you have to but I wouldn’t recommend that, you may find yourself facing sexual abuse charges. It would be best if you could get one to consent. Maybe offer a full centerfold in one of the fly fishing magazines as an incentive.

Maybe this one doesn't want their genitals exposed in a national publication. Not all of them are fond of that idea.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Oct 29, 2013October 29th, 2013, 10:11 am EDT
You guys are a hoot! Now the whole gang's taking part in unraveling a thread! :) This is anarchy!

Spence

Bruce...Antonio would probably send you a dozen if he really thought you'd tie the damn things on. ;)

Stick to your nymphing and maybe we can keep you from ending up in a jail cell next to that guy from Penn State.
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Oct 29, 2013October 29th, 2013, 2:46 pm EDT
Spence, Sorry I sent this thread into the toilet. I promise I'll never ask a another serious question.

PS. Why don't you return your calls?
Gutcutter
Gutcutter's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Gutcutter on Oct 29, 2013October 29th, 2013, 6:46 pm EDT
Bruce...Antonio would probably send you a dozen if he really thought you'd tie the damn things on. ;)

Stick to your nymphing and maybe we can keep you from ending up in a jail cell...

Perhaps this?

TMC 200R #22
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Falsifly
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Oct 29, 2013October 29th, 2013, 7:42 pm EDT
TMC 200R #22

I can't believe you guys are still using barbs.
Falsifly
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Oct 29, 2013October 29th, 2013, 8:36 pm EDT
Ah, the annual season ending restlessness...:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Oct 29, 2013October 29th, 2013, 10:29 pm EDT
I promise I'll never ask a another serious question.

Really, Bruce? Never is an awfully long time
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com

Quick Reply