Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Zapada cinctipes (Nemouridae) (Tiny Winter Black) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Nymphs of this species were fairly common in late-winter kick net samples from the upper Yakima River. Although I could not find a key to species of Zapada nymphs, a revision of the Nemouridae family by Baumann (1975) includes the following helpful sentence: "2 cervical gills on each side of midline, 1 arising inside and 1 outside of lateral cervical sclerites, usually single and elongate, sometimes constricted but with 3 or 4 branches arising beyond gill base in Zapada cinctipes." This specimen clearly has the branches and is within the range of that species.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Jan 16, 2013January 16th, 2013, 9:08 am EST
Collected 1/11/2013
5mm
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jan 16, 2013January 16th, 2013, 10:01 am EST
Mentioning Spring on JA 16? I love your optimism, Eric.:)

Looks like Baetis tricaudatus (prev. B. vagans) to me.

Bruce - I like to call them Olive Quills, but they go by a lot of names, including the omnipresent or should I say gratingly pervasive BWO.:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Crepuscular
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Jan 16, 2013January 16th, 2013, 10:20 am EST
No mention of the season, collected from Big Spring Creek. But hey I'm ready, bring it on!!! I just have to tie a few more flies.
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jan 16, 2013January 16th, 2013, 10:25 am EST
LOL:) I thought you were referring to a large sized baetid that hatches in the Spring! There's just not enough PA in me...:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Crepuscular
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Jan 16, 2013January 16th, 2013, 11:15 am EST
I'm just pennsylcentric...
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 16, 2013January 16th, 2013, 11:52 am EST
Eric, how big was the nymph, and how close to hatching would you say? The wing pads aren't dark, but I don't know enough to tell how well developed the wings might be.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Jan 16, 2013January 16th, 2013, 12:33 pm EST
Love it, thanks for the English. I dunno know, you sure that's a Spring arrival?
Crepuscular
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Jan 16, 2013January 16th, 2013, 4:32 pm EST
Eric, how big was the nymph, and how close to hatching would you say? The wing pads aren't dark, but I don't know enough to tell how well developed the wings might be.

5 mm. I don't know about how long until emergence, Like you observed, the wing pads are still relatively light. But they are well developed.

Love it, thanks for the English. I dunno know, you sure that's a Spring arrival?

No im not sure of about 90% of the things I say. I never said it was going to hatch this spring. it was collected from Big Spring Creek. :)
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jan 16, 2013January 16th, 2013, 6:42 pm EST
I just have to tie a few more flies.

Just a few? ;)

I never said it was going to hatch this spring

She's going to have a hard time hatching in spring Eric if you didn't put her back. :) The cousins will be ready, when the time is right...I promise.

I love your optimism, Eric.:)

Kurt...Everything about that bug is optimistic to us Midwesterners...They are like candy to winter starved salmonids. The river gods use them to reintroduce the trout to the surface...Almost brings tears to my eyes!

Nice pics there Eric!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Jan 16, 2013January 16th, 2013, 7:53 pm EST
She's going to have a hard time hatching in spring Eric if you didn't put her back. :)

"She's"? So Spence, was that determination a result of your keen interest in genitalia?
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."

Quick Reply