Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Amphizoa (Amphizoidae) Beetle Larva from Sears Creek in Washington
This is the first of it's family I've seen, collected from a tiny, fishless stream in the Cascades. The three species of this genus all live in the Northwest and are predators that primarily eat stonefly nymphs Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019).
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Sadie01
North Carolina

Sadie01 on Feb 17, 2017February 17th, 2017, 2:30 am EST
Don't get to trout fish much so I have difficulty identifying some but not all the flies I have. I also never know what size fly I have. What do others do to assist with fly and (hook) size identification while out trying to fish.
Thank you for any and all ideas.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 18, 2017February 18th, 2017, 11:21 pm EST
It is quite easy to memorize the sizes of your hooks. There are many fly fishing catalogs that sell fly tying materials and in those catalogs are pages showing different styles and sizes of hooks. Get a couple catalogs and compare your flies with the pictures in the catalogs and that will help you remember what sizes they are.

You could also go to a local fly shop and ask the sales person to pick out a bunch of flies in sizes #8 - #22 and then you would have samples to compare. There are dozens of hook shapes and styles so you might need a few of the different styles too.

http://www.lulusoso.com/upload/20120309/Fly_fishing_hook.jpg

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/tiemco-tmc-hooks

Here are just two of the many hook charts I was able find in a few minutes of searching on the Internet.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply