Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Apr 11, 2017April 11th, 2017, 1:55 pm EDT
I'm getting ready to move and looking to set up at my new place with a slightly more classy work area and storage system for fly tying than my current combo of a hard plastic utility desk and a wall full of cheap plastic drawers. So I'm looking into getting a dedicated tying desk at least, and maybe something different for storage. I'm not looking for handcrafted, heirloom-type furniture that runs into the thousands of dollars. Just something decent-looking and highly functional.

I'm maybe looking along the lines of this desk from Orvis. Of course, that can't fit even 10 % of my tying materials, so I'm curious what everyone uses for that as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations for specific models?

What do you use? What features do you like or dislike about it?

Feel free to just post pictures of your tying stations for idea fodder, too!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 12, 2017April 12th, 2017, 10:51 am EDT
Jason,

That is really a nice dedicated fly tying desk. It might be good if you only tie certain types of flies. However if you tie all sorts, and sizes, of nymphs, emergers, dry flies, steelhead flies, streamers, salt water flies etc. There won't be enough storage space and you will wind up with over flow materials in plastic bins.

This Bankers roll top desk was made by a company called Winners Only. It is called a "Bankers" roll top desk because across the top there are twelve little drawers. One for each month of the year so the banker could keep track of when a clients payments were due. There are thirty-four drawers, six slotted areas, three secret hiding places and a large double door storage in the well area, I know they no longer are making this specific desk but they might still be offering other styles.

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
PABrownie
PABrownie's profile picture
Gallitzin PA

PABrownie on Apr 13, 2017April 13th, 2017, 9:25 am EDT
PABrownie
Gallitzin PA

PABrownie on Apr 13, 2017April 13th, 2017, 9:26 am EDT
I guess I cant upload images for some reason, but anyways mine is very similar to wbranches except the top row is not pull out drawers but open spaces with dividers, which is convenient for quick access to hackles etc..
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 13, 2017April 13th, 2017, 9:45 am EDT
There is a page that clearly explains how to upload pictures. You will need an account with Photobucket or some other photo sharing web site.

Then you copy the picture you want to post and key a left bracket then the letters img, then the right bracket, Then you press "Paste", then key another left bracket, a back slash /, then another img, then a right bracket and the image should post up.
Troutnut
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Apr 13, 2017April 13th, 2017, 2:14 pm EDT
Here are the picture posting instructions:

http://www.troutnut.com/forumcode

Also, imgur is a good website for hassle-free photo hosting with no account required.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 13, 2017April 13th, 2017, 2:37 pm EDT
Jason,

I need to try Imgur because Photobucket takes for ever to stop buffering and it buffers on every step of the process from uploading to editing to copying.
PABrownie
Gallitzin PA

PABrownie on Apr 14, 2017April 14th, 2017, 3:41 am EDT

here it is

nevermind it still didnt work haha, forget it
Troutnut
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Apr 14, 2017April 14th, 2017, 4:27 am EDT
PABrownie it looks like you copied the words "free temporary image hosting" instead of the address of the image. ;)

Thanks for those links BoulderWorks. Some interesting options there!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
David82nd
David82nd's profile picture
Upstate,New York

David82nd on May 23, 2017May 23rd, 2017, 11:43 pm EDT
Nice desk, a nice feature also to this desk is you can pull the cover down if need to leave materials out

Quick Reply