Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Artistic view of a Perlodidae (Springflies and Yellow Stones) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to lead to Couplet 35 of the Key to Genera of Perlodidae Nymphs and the genus Isoperla, but I'm skeptical that's correct based on the general look. I need to get it under the microscope to review several choices in the key, and it'll probably end up a different Perlodidae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Flytyerinpa
Flytyerinpa's profile picture
Pottsville Pa

Flytyerinpa on Jul 21, 2016July 21st, 2016, 8:21 am EDT
I was wondering if any body could tell me about Erlerg's hooks are they carbon content chemically sharpened etc in general how would you rate them?
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 23, 2016July 23rd, 2016, 6:00 am EDT
I haven't heard of them. Who sells them?
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Flytyerinpa
Flytyerinpa's profile picture
Pottsville Pa

Flytyerinpa on Jul 25, 2016July 25th, 2016, 12:28 pm EDT
Not really sure I saw them on e_bay a few weeks ago they were listed as Erlerg's hooks probably china or some other company over seas I don't think any hooks are made here in USA
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jul 25, 2016July 25th, 2016, 1:32 pm EDT
I never heard of them either. If you don't want to pay the premium prices for the big name brand hooks there are quite a few off brand, but very good chemically sharpened, hooks available at some of the larger fly shops. The "Trout Shop" in Merced. CA is one that comes quickly to mind.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 27, 2016July 27th, 2016, 3:48 pm EDT
A buddy of mine uses Allen hooks. Today he gave me a size 28 fly that was working and I landed a 17" brown on it. No complaints here.

--Fred Chappell
Rovaki
Rovaki on Dec 11, 2016December 11th, 2016, 8:16 am EST
I contacted the seller who stated they are manufactured in South Korea. I purchased some and they are as good as the name brands. But the price is better. I do believe some of the top brands are manufactured in China.
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Dec 13, 2016December 13th, 2016, 6:53 am EST
Since China has loosed up its grip on its own citizens traveling, wealth has reached global standards, and the internet is there, Chinese people are expanding business either direct (via global shipping) or with middle men/distributors/contact people here in the US. Lots of fishing tackle, among other things, has hit the internet markets here in just the last few years. Quality may certainly vary, but China is of course producing high quality products. Quality is always an open question but it be that one can buy direct, side-lining the usual US distributors.
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Dec 13, 2016December 13th, 2016, 8:01 am EST
Be that as it may, I'll generally stay with Daiichi for now. Their 1120 and 1130 emerger hooks are very sticky, at least in my experience. I recently had a discussion about this with a guide and good friend who is of the same mind. These hooks have a little offset that seems to hook and hold very well, even in the small sizes. I use a few Tiemcos also, and am trying some Allen barbless nymph hooks for next year.

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply