Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Kogotus (Perlodidae) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
This one pretty clearly keys to Kogotus, but it also looks fairly different from specimens I caught in the same creek about a month later in the year. With only one species of the genus known in Washington, I'm not sure about the answer to this ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

TNEAL
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

TNEAL on Aug 15, 2016August 15th, 2016, 5:25 am EDT
Northern MI is experiencing fish kill from the heat. I'm a bit concerned about populations since the recent back to back brutal winters did us no favors; numbers are low enough as it is.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Aug 15, 2016August 15th, 2016, 1:53 pm EDT
I was going to go out fishing tonight, but I think I am going to wait until after our next round of rain, coming in tonight thank goodness! I don't want to stress out any fish already stressed out from the heat...and I may stick to known spring-fed waters for a while too, where they can get enough dissolved oxygen from the cooler waters. And Tim's right, as if we really need a brutal summer after those last two brutal winters...perhaps stick to bass fishing for a while? Or perch?

Went and worked in some wetlands today that I needed chest waders for last year - this year all I needed were boots, which I won't complain about on a hot muggy day...but we could damn well use a small hurricane in these parts! Funny, this year it's either flood (Louisiana - poor people) or drought (us and California). At least we don't have any raging fires going around here, surprising considering all of the pine trees and their needles....

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
TimCat
TimCat's profile picture
Alanson, MI

TimCat on Aug 15, 2016August 15th, 2016, 7:28 pm EDT
The Farmer's Almanac predicts another brutal winter ahead apparently. At least we got one decent one in between. Hopefully not as bad as a couple years ago.

Jonathon- Have you ever thought about heading up and over to the black or the pigeon? From my experience, those streams are pretty darn cold in comparison to the Rifle and the Pine. Might be a good day trip for ya. Probably about 1.5-2 hours drive.

Roguerat- I absolutely love the Boardman. It's my favorite river since I've been fly fishing. Cold, Clear, and Beautiful, Yes indeed. Between this season and the latter part of last season, I've fished almost every stretch from Sheck's up into the north branch. In the 'heat' of tourist season I usually try to stay above Forks Campground because that is the furthest upstream people drop in for canoeing (they don't clear the deadfall above it). This summer I've done well swinging soft hackles and caddis pupa wet-flies when nothing is visibly hatching. I caught my biggest brook trout of the year by where you were just at, upstream of the 'forks', swinging a grey spider under a recently downed pine. I have often seen cased caddis on rocks and weeds underwater (all season). When I've been lucky enough to see mayflies hatching (nothing big though), I fish Deer-hair emergers I tied with comparadun style wings (caddis/emerger hooks sizes 10-18). Usually with adams grey, dark hair's ear, or with a pheasant tail thorax. The daytime fishing for brookies, with some browns scattered here and there,can be pretty damn good at times, even without bugs on the surface. I highly recommend doing some exploring in the upper reaches. PM me if you want some info and if you like fishing "skinny water".
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" - Bob Lawless

Quick Reply