Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Ephemerella mucronata (Ephemerellidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This is an interesting one. Following the keys in Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019) and Jacobus et al. (2014), it keys clearly to Ephemerella. Jacobus et al provide a key to species, but some of the characteristics are tricky to interpret without illustrations. If I didn't make any mistakes, this one keys to Ephemerella mucronata, which has not previously been reported any closer to here than Montana and Alberta. The main character seems to fit well: "Abdominal terga with prominent, paired, subparallel, spiculate ridges." Several illustrations or descriptions of this holarctic species from the US and Europe seem to match, including the body length, tarsal claws and denticles, labial palp, and gill shapes. These sources include including Richard Allen's original description of this species in North America under the now-defunct name E. moffatae in Allen RK (1977) and the figures in this description of the species in Italy.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Jun 10, 2008June 10th, 2008, 12:51 pm EDT
Was in Roscoe the tail end of last week. Fishing was tough and the water was low. The extremely hot temps brought up the water temps, and I did not fish Saturday evening because of it. Fishing was fairly good in the mornings when the water was cooler. The most prolific fish-taker was a Partridge and Olive Emerger in size 14.

Did some tying at the Clearwater Junction Fly Tying show, there, on Friday. Talked to many good tiers and finally got to meet Allen McGee. His intensity, knowledge, skill and friendliness made the meeting a great one.

Hopefully, it'll cool down a bit so I might get out on my home water, soon.

Hope all of you are getting some fishing in.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
69er
Banned
kilsyth

69er on Jun 10, 2008June 10th, 2008, 1:14 pm EDT
rodsco never herrd of it??? ... (insert ban-worthy vandalism here)
i think im a gehy persons
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jun 10, 2008June 10th, 2008, 2:14 pm EDT
I think I missed you, Mark, which bums me out. I arrived Saturday morning and left Sunday morning. I wish I'd known you would be there - I would have made an attempt to meet you face to face. I probably should have posted a thread on here so we could have found out ahead of time who was going to be heading up. Oh, well.

It was a great show, not because of the number of people who attended but because of how many great tiers were there. Everyone I met was really nice, and I was glad to meet so many down-to-earth tiers who are so talented. The highlight for me was meeting Joan Wulff. Lee Wulff's writings were some of the few I owned in my early years of tying, and they inspired me. It was an honor to meet Joan and to play a small part in raising money for conservation efforts she and Lee helped bring to the forefront of flyfishing culture. She is such a graceful and gentle person - reminded me of my grandmother. What a fantastic experience.

-Shawn

P.S. For those of you who don't know, Roscoe is the cradle of North American flyfishing. It is so close to so many storied waters that it gave me goosebumps as I drove the winding roads leading up to it.
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Jun 11, 2008June 11th, 2008, 2:29 am EDT
Shawn,
I must have walked right by you, and I'm sorry it didn't click with me who you were. Otherwise I would have stopped to say hi and introduce myself. I returned about mid-afternoon Saturday to meet with and see some other tiers like Aaron Hirschorn, John Bonasera, Ted Patlen, and a few more. Hopefully, we'll touch base at another time.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html

Quick Reply