Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Case view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
It's only barely visible in one of my pictures, but I confirmed under the microscope that this one has a prosternal horn and the antennae are mid-way between the eyes and front of the head capsule.

I'm calling this one Pycnopsyche, but it's a bit perplexing. It seems to key definitively to at least Couplet 8 of the Key to Genera of Limnephilidae Larvae. That narrows it down to three genera, and the case seems wrong for the other two. The case looks right for Pycnopsyche, and it fits one of the key characteristics: "Abdominal sternum II without chloride epithelium and abdominal segment IX with only single seta on each side of dorsal sclerite." However, the characteristic "metanotal sa1 sclerites not fused, although often contiguous" does not seem to fit well. Those sclerites sure look fused to me, although I can make out a thin groove in the touching halves in the anterior half under the microscope. Perhaps this is a regional variation.

The only species of Pycnopsyche documented in Washington state is Pycnopsyche guttifera, and the colors and markings around the head of this specimen seem to match very well a specimen of that species from Massachusetts on Bugguide. So I am placing it in that species for now.

Whatever species this is, I photographed another specimen of seemingly the same species from the same spot a couple months later.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 22, 2010January 22nd, 2010, 11:19 pm EST
Far many more people at show on Friday than I've ever experienced in all prior years. About five years ago I started arriving at 9:30 on Friday so I could get a place to park right in front of the main doors and get in to see the show before it got too crowded. Yesterday I got there a little later, around 10:00, and the front lot was closed as it was already full. I had to drive around to the front of the hotel to park.

Overall my impressions were there were far more outfitters and lodge owners than I ever remember from prior years and fewer fly shops. I go specifically to spend time with my best bud of fifty years who lives in NJ and to buy bulk CDC from Trouthunters. I was successful on both counts and bought bulk bags of light & dark natural CDC, and three bulk bags of slate, medium dun, and light dun dyed CDC, plus a bottle of preen oil. I also found a lovely half Whiting saddle in medium dun, 14 & smaller, that I picked up.

By 3:00 I had already walked the aisles about three times and was tired of being on my feet. I bid my buddy goodbye and "see you in May" and hit the road and was in York by 6:30.

Hopefully my CDC will last two years so I can avoid going out in 2011.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Jan 24, 2010January 24th, 2010, 9:26 am EST
back from the show, and as Wbranch reports, Friday was very crowded. Saturday was about normal, but bearable, and Sunday AM was surprisingly relaxed. it seems everyone wanted to beat the rush by going Friday! it looked like one or two fewer fly shops and three or four more outfitters. that sounds odd but every guide i know has had no fall off in bookings. the economy seems to have gone after small businesses and left those with money to spend on fun as they were. the presentations were as good as ever. saw a new one on Fly Fishing Injuries and how to avoid them: hydration and core strength, to vastly oversimplify what the lady had to say. saw all my favorite authors and got some autographs--that has to be one of the best parts of this show, real face time with one's gurus.

and got to see our own Shawn Davis at his work--it's just as magical as you think it has to be to make such lovely things. sorry if i missed any others of you there--wait 'til next year!
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jan 25, 2010January 25th, 2010, 10:52 am EST
It was a fun show. It was nice to see Casey and BFB - always a pleasure. I also enjoyed meeting John Dunn for a few minutes and digging up a little dirt on our buddy Louis in the meantime. I wish I'd gotten to meet Matt - Casey said his flybox was something to behold.

The Troutnut folks who attend these things should make it easy on each other and wear one of Jason's T-shirts to the show (that's how I met Casey for the first time, I believe). Give Jason a little free publicity, too - the least we can do for his keeping up this great site.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 25, 2010January 25th, 2010, 2:14 pm EST
Uh oh, looks like I'll have to attend the next one of these to make sure too many lies aren't being told on my behalf. Glad you folks had a good time! Even if some of it was at my expense.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply