Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionNC side

Details and Discussion

Teddyp
North Carolina

Teddyp on Sep 27, 2009September 27th, 2009, 2:18 pm EDT
We have had a ton of water in the Smokies the last week that have turned a lot of steams very dark with high cfs readings. I fished a smaller stream in GSMNP that was running pretty clear. Got a lot more rain Saturday and no hatch was coming off. Caught a couple of beautiful brookies on an Adams. The rain turned the fishing off and I missed a lot of strikes the rest of the day. The streams should be coming down soon and I'm looking forward to a good fall season. Hope everyone else is gearing up for the season and looking for some reports.

Tight lines!
Ted

Quick Reply