Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Danmusky47
Chicago

Danmusky47 on Jun 30, 2016June 30th, 2016, 10:22 pm EDT
Hey guys, my girlfriend and I are flying from Chicago to Denver to Riot fest over Labor Day weekend and the renting a car for a week to do some carcamping. If anyone would be so kind to recommend some car camping campgrounds that would be close to fly fishing for me, and hiking for my girlfriend ...plus not that far from s town for some adult beverages at night if we decide we are thirsty. Thank you for any suggestions...
Bnorikane
Bnorikane's profile picture
Colorado

Bnorikane on Jul 4, 2016July 4th, 2016, 10:31 am EDT
There are many great places to camp, hike and fish in Colorado, but I'm only familiar with camping at a few of them.

Rocky Mountain National Park has great scenic views, camping, hiking, wildlife and fishing. Many of the campsites on the east side are close to Estes Park for thirsty nights. On the west side, there's one campground near the headwaters of the Colorado River and many other small creeks. The fish are not large in RMNP, but they are wild and beautiful.

There are good campsites near the Frying Pan riverh, which has terrific fly fishing. There are good bars nearby, and Aspen is only 50 minutes away.
ColoradoKen
ColoradoKen's profile picture
Granby, Colorado

ColoradoKen on Jul 15, 2016July 15th, 2016, 8:30 pm EDT
Check out sarvis creek access on the yampa. It's also right near the famous tailwater stretch of the Yampa below stagecoach res. Big fish. Typical tailwater game. Really pretty area. Have fun!
http://cpw.state.co.us/swa/Sarvis%20Creek%20SWA
Free camping, I believe. Please call number in link above and confirm details before you go.

Or camp at pumphouse on the Colorado river. Essentially a really big freestone, the Colorado will be nice that time of year. It will be wade able. You will be able to cross in places, access the downstream islands (this is important). This is a large, Blm camp on the river.
http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/blm/co/field_offices/crvfo/recreation_documents0.Par.4926.File.dat/Upper_Colorado_River_Guide.2015.pdf

You are gonna trade awesome car camping and fly fishing for close proximity to bars in many cases. Ya could get a cheapo cooler and pack it with beers. Just sayin'
Tight Lines,
Ken

Quick Reply