Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Ephemerella mucronata (Ephemerellidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This is an interesting one. Following the keys in Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019) and Jacobus et al. (2014), it keys clearly to Ephemerella. Jacobus et al provide a key to species, but some of the characteristics are tricky to interpret without illustrations. If I didn't make any mistakes, this one keys to Ephemerella mucronata, which has not previously been reported any closer to here than Montana and Alberta. The main character seems to fit well: "Abdominal terga with prominent, paired, subparallel, spiculate ridges." Several illustrations or descriptions of this holarctic species from the US and Europe seem to match, including the body length, tarsal claws and denticles, labial palp, and gill shapes. These sources include including Richard Allen's original description of this species in North America under the now-defunct name E. moffatae in Allen RK (1977) and the figures in this description of the species in Italy.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Teddyp
North Carolina

Teddyp on Mar 20, 2009March 20th, 2009, 7:14 am EDT
Anyone in the Carolina's been to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park lately? I'm going in the morning and just wondering if any readers/posters are in my neck of the woods and can tell me if they've been up there lately.

Thanks!
Ted
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 20, 2009March 20th, 2009, 8:31 am EDT
It's been years for me, but I'd love to hear a fishin' report after you get back.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Mar 20, 2009March 20th, 2009, 11:41 am EDT
Todd-

I'd suggest you email James Marsh. He is (or was) a member of this forum. He has a website titled Fly Fishing the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and its home page has a link for contacting him.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Teddyp
North Carolina

Teddyp on Mar 20, 2009March 20th, 2009, 2:20 pm EDT
Thanks for the input, and website. Haven't seen that one yet. Hopefully I'll have a report up and with any luck, some trout.

Thanks y'all!

Ted
Teddyp
North Carolina

Teddyp on Mar 24, 2009March 24th, 2009, 4:42 am EDT
I wish I had a better report, but I got skunked at the park. The morning was about 25 degrees, cooler than it had been the rest of the week. It turned into a great day with lots of sun. The water was running fast and clear, and there were a lot of bugs on top, just no fish taking them.

I missed a nice fish on a flymph. He wouldn't move again. I then missed another on a size 24 midge dropper.

All and all a great day, and I'm just starting the season a little early with high expectations. I'll be back in warmer weather, that's for sure!

Ted
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 25, 2009March 25th, 2009, 11:56 am EDT
Hi Ted,

Cold days are tough. I got skunked my first day out this season with lots of snow and temps in the low to mid 20's. But just being out, wetting a line, and seeing that flash of a fish is magic. Warmer days and more hookups are ahead for sure for all of us. Thanks for the report. And Taxon, thanks for the website!!

--Louis

"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on Mar 26, 2009March 26th, 2009, 2:19 am EDT
Mr. Marsh's web site is a winner. The best I've seen on the park from a fishing perspective.

Thanks, Roger..

I lived in Charlotte for a few years in the 80's and was over fishing virtually every weekend. Not so much in the Park as in the Pisgah and Nantahala NF's. I really love it down there. From a scenery and can't-wait-to-see what's-around-the-next-bend small water fishing perspective, it's my favorite place anywhere.

Quick Reply