Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Ventral view of a Hydropsyche (Hydropsychidae) (Spotted Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
With a bit of help from the microscope, this specimen keys clearly and unsurprisingly to Hydropsyche.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionTennessee
Dates Fishedlate spring
Conditions & Hatchesfair weather

Details and Discussion

Meridanman
mississippi

Meridanman on May 27, 2007May 27th, 2007, 3:35 pm EDT
Does anyone have experience or advice about fishing the stocked trout waters of Tennessee ?
John3:16
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 29, 2007May 29th, 2007, 3:12 am EDT
I have very limited experience with these streams, but have heard that wooly buggers work pretty well on Elk River, and suspect that this standby will work almost anywhere. Good luck.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
TrevorC
Interlochen, Michigan

TrevorC on Jul 20, 2007July 20th, 2007, 9:10 am EDT
Depends on where you are talking about. What part of the State?
I'll see you down on the river...
Chief
Bellevue, Nebraska

Chief on Aug 23, 2007August 23rd, 2007, 12:21 pm EDT
I had a guide, Carolyn Hartsell, take me up on the Little River in the Smoky Mt National Park and she used a fly called the Smoky Mt Blackcrow, which she says is her husbands own fly. It worked well, we caught a nice brown in a riffle with it. I only got two fish in 5 hours but considering the water was low she said I had a banner day on the Little River. Try the Holston she told me.
http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com/
this is there web page.
Life's tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid. (John Wayne)
Davez
Pennsylvania

Davez on Aug 24, 2007August 24th, 2007, 1:42 am EDT
i fished the caney fork this year end of june. it was very good. very good.

it is in close proximity to nashville and there is alot of access.

watch for snakes.
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Aug 24, 2007August 24th, 2007, 9:47 am EDT
Dave,
I've fished the South Holston, Watauga, Doe, and Beaver Dam. Four very different rivers all uniquely interesting. The TVA tailwaters are tricky due to the release schedule and some access issues. Huge trout in them though.
John
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
TrevorC
Interlochen, Michigan

TrevorC on Sep 7, 2007September 7th, 2007, 7:50 am EDT
My best friend just moved to Lebanon TN, and has been fishing the caney fork, and reports great fishing. Different to what he is used to though. He hasn't caught anything on flies, but reports great success using chrome or silver flatfish with a single hook.

My experience is around Gatlinburg TN.

I fished mountain streams in the Smokeys. I caught alot of small trout.

I took a friend of mine's son down to one of the Childrens stocked rivers that flow through Gatlinburg. We had a lot of fun, and he caught his first trout. (I couldn't convince him to throw them back though. He wanted to take them back and have them for dinner. So we did. I'll post a picture on the photography message board. Nothing like a kid catching his first trout, or did the trout catch him?...
I'll see you down on the river...
Irishangler
Irishangler on Feb 11, 2008February 11th, 2008, 2:56 pm EST
I live in SW VA and enjoy fishing the Tennessee stretch of the South Holston. Its got some really big trout, both rainbows and browns. They see a lot of flies, but woolly buggers still work well. An Orvis guide recommends egg patterns, too. It can be a little tough to get accurate reports for the dam release schedules.
The only downside to fishing the Holston is the growing problem of bad characters breaking into vehicles, specifically those with fly gear in them. They know what they're looking for, so don't leave extra rods, tubes, or gear visible. The local law officials have supposedly stepped up patrols.
2weightfavo
2weightfavo on Mar 7, 2008March 7th, 2008, 1:12 pm EST
I live in Eastern TN and fish the Great smokey Mountains alot, the Hiwassee, the Little River (which is stocked outside the national park) and tellico. I fish somewhere every week, and I must say for stocked fish its real hard to beat the good ole Pheasant tail. Don't short your drift thogh, for some reason the stockers love to hit it on ther swing. If I had to pick one stream though it would be Tellico. The mix of stocked and wild fish is great, and you have the chance for a HUGE brown..

Quick Reply