Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Epeorus albertae (Heptageniidae) (Pink Lady) Mayfly Nymph from the East Fork Issaquah Creek in Washington
This specimen keys to the Epeorus albertae group of species. Of the five species in that group, the two known in Washington state are Epeorus albertae and Epeorus dulciana. Of the two, albertae has been collected in vastly more locations in Washington than dulciana, suggesting it is far more common. On that basis alone I'm tentatively putting this nymph in albertae, with the large caveat that there's no real information to rule out dulciana.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123 has attached these 13 pictures. The message is below.
Beautiful wild fish, missed at least three strikes by this one the previous trip here, got it on the first cast with a #10 modified Joe's Hopper - and fought way hard for it's size!
Joe-Pye-weed, boneset, and goldenrod
Virgin's Bower is in full bloom right now (another shot for Spence & his better half!)  ;oD
Virgin's-Bower covering a tree branch overhanging trout water
The "Five-Hole" (hockey pun intended...) - first time I fished this pool, I caught five trout!  Brookies, browns, and rainbows have all hit my dry flies in this nice little spot.
Bedstraw (Galium species) on riverbank
Glowing in the sunset...
Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis)
Spotted jewelweed (Impatiens capensis)
Field mint (Mentha arvensis) - this plant makes the best mint tea in the known Universe!  Pick fresh leaves, steep in boiled water for 5-10 minutes, add sugar as desired, and enjoy!
The first "Rearing Pond" - an obviously artificially deep hole that was supposedly dug out for rearing trout - the rest of the stream is ankle-to-knee deep with occasional areas that get waist to maybe chest deep...but this goes over my head, I know because I took a swim!!!
Blue vervain (Verbena hastata) - for Paul!  ;oD
One more shot of that little wild rainbow...
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Aug 28, 2013August 28th, 2013, 10:18 pm EDT
Just had to post a few more pics of the Pine, this time from both the Buhl Dam section and the Rearing Pond Road area. Even though the fish have been running small, the scenery has been just spectacular as of late with the mass blooming of wetland wildflowers along the banks. Threw in a couple of pics of a wild little (9") rainbow too just to show you what the fish look like, though a photo never does a fish justice, especially in the glowing light of the sunset. Enjoy!

Jonathon

P.S. Fish were hitting that modified #10 Joe's Hopper like mad until sundown...
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Aug 31, 2013August 31st, 2013, 10:32 pm EDT
Beautiful.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Sep 1, 2013September 1st, 2013, 4:04 pm EDT
Nice, Jonathan! Thanks for sharing those.

Quick Reply