Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on May 8, 2016May 8th, 2016, 10:52 am EDT
Thought some of you might be interested in this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5N_1ivjOJ4
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
-Albert Einstein
TimCat
TimCat's profile picture
Alanson, MI

TimCat on May 9, 2016May 9th, 2016, 3:58 pm EDT
Looks like an upstream migration going on there.
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" - Bob Lawless
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 13, 2016May 13th, 2016, 3:37 pm EDT
When there is an emergence of that magnitude of any aquatic insect it's time to head to shore and have lunch and a couple of high balls and take a nap until the emergence wanes or just row out and go to the nearest bar.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Losthwy
Losthwy on Jun 10, 2016June 10th, 2016, 7:25 pm EDT
We have the same thing here in Colorado on the Arkansas River. The key is getting ABOVE the hatch.
Planettrout
Planettrout's profile picture
Los Angeles, CA / Pullman, WA

Planettrout on Jun 11, 2016June 11th, 2016, 6:53 am EDT
The Mother's Day Hatch appears earlier here in CA, generally in late March on the Lower Owens River in the Eastern Sierras. I have seen it as thick as those Caddis on the Madison in the video link above...

This is a pattern for the emerging Brachycentrus I use. It is a variation of Craig Matthew's Guide Serendipity that he created for the hatch on the Madison:

< />

MOTHER’S DAY MUNCH (Caddis Pupa, Brachycentrus) - Matthews/Variant

HOOK: TMC 226 BL, #14 – #18

THREAD: UTC 70 Denier, Fl. White – Under Abdomen / Tiemco 16/0, Black – Thorax forward

ABDOMEN: Datum Glo-Brite Floss Fl. Chartreuse

RIB: UTC Wire, Gunmetal Blue, x-sm

WING: Marc Petitjean CDC, #5 White – * Two tips tied in opposed

THORAX: UV2 Dyed Peacock Eye, Black

I fish it from the bottom to the top of the water column...and does it work... :)

PT/TB
Daughter to Father: "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 12, 2016June 12th, 2016, 10:07 am EDT
Cool, PT. Thanks.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jun 12, 2016June 12th, 2016, 6:27 pm EDT
Nice looking fly there, PT!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply