Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Glossosoma (Glossosomatidae) (Little Brown Short-horned Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
I caught this tiny larva without a case, but it seems to key pretty clearly to to Glossosomatidae. From there, the lack of sclerites on the mesonotum points to either Glossosoma or Anagapetus. Although it's difficult to see in a 2D image from the microscope, it's pretty clear in the live 3D view that the pronotum is only excised about 1/3 of its length to accommodate the forecoxa, not 2/3, which points to Glossosoma at Couplet 5 of the Key to Genera of Glossosomatidae Larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Apr 1, 2013April 1st, 2013, 1:34 pm EDT
My BWO emerger is grey/olive. What color ribbing would you suggest, grey thread?
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Apr 1, 2013April 1st, 2013, 1:49 pm EDT
What kind off emerger, Bruce? If you are imitating the fresh dun abdomen, I'd go with very pale olive, gray or tan depending on the critter. I mean very pale, if you don't have these colors, white is best. For the nymph abdomen, the same color selection in the more common shades will work, provided they are lighter than the body. I rarely use ribbing darker than the body.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Apr 1, 2013April 1st, 2013, 2:09 pm EDT
What kind off emerger, Bruce? If you are imitating the fresh dun abdomen, I'd go with very pale olive, gray or tan depending on the critter. I mean very pale, if you don't have these colors, white is best. For the nymph abdomen, the same color selection in the more common shades will work, provided they are lighter than the body. I rarely use ribbing darker than the body.

Good question, Entoman. I'm going to use it as a trailer behind a dry fly. Also, I was using the same pattern on a local stream and fishing it on a dropper. I guess it was in the upper third of the water column. I caught a few fish on it. It's very dark olive/gray with a dun wing case. Am I talking two different stages?
Bruce
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Apr 1, 2013April 1st, 2013, 2:22 pm EDT
Well, that's they way I often fish my Ripe Nymph. Sounds like you are imitating the nymph. Baetids will split their wingccases subsurface exposing some thoracic color, but they only eclode (emerge) at the surface as far as I know. Anyway, which is the most dominate color? If olive, I'd go with the gray thread on an olivaceous body.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Apr 1, 2013April 1st, 2013, 2:54 pm EDT
Well, that's they way I often fish my Ripe Nymph. Sounds like you are imitating the nymph. Baetids will split their wingccases subsurface exposing some thoracic color, but they only eclode (emerge) at the surface as far as I know. Anyway, which is the most dominate color? If olive, I'd go with the gray thread on an olivaceous body.

It's pretty dark so I think I'll use some of each gray and dark olive. I noticed they have a very segmented look to them especially the duns. Am I correct in that recollection?
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Apr 1, 2013April 1st, 2013, 3:15 pm EDT
Entoman, Actually, what I'm tying is the John Barr Wet Emerger. I just realized that I never mentioned it, sorry. It will have a dark olive to gray body and a gray thorax. I used dun hackle fibers for the wing case. They say it can be fished from the bottom to one inch below the surface. They seem to work with the same color abdomen and thorax, too, if you're too lazy to add a different dubbing for the thorax.
Bruce
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Apr 1, 2013April 1st, 2013, 3:21 pm EDT
Based on what you've described, I'd go with gray - if only because olive thread often looks dark on dubbing blends with a lot of muskrat in it.
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Apr 1, 2013April 1st, 2013, 3:27 pm EDT
Based on what you've described, I'd go with gray - if only because olive thread often looks dark on dubbing blends with a lot of muskrat in it.

It strikes me as so cool that you're on the left coast and I'm on the right yet we can carry on a conversation? I've never been to California. My nephew recently spent a week in San Francisco with the Penn State Glee Club.
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Apr 1, 2013April 1st, 2013, 3:38 pm EDT
I noticed they have a very segmented...)

In macro photos some can look ringed. But in the hand they mostly look either unicolorous or blotchy (due to varying pigment patterns in the segments). Only rarely do they look "ribbed" like stoneflies and midges usually do. This can be said for most mayflies and a lot of successful imitations have no rib at all. I use ribs on baetid and ephemerellid imitations more to show segmentation than contrast.

It strikes me as so cool that you're on the left coast and I'm on the right yet we can carry on a conversation?

You are so right! This tech allows us anglers to share correspondence like Halford & Gordon or Skues & Leisenring at a level undreamed of what seems like only yesterday.
Sayfu
Sayfu on Apr 2, 2013April 2nd, 2013, 8:19 am EDT

Sometimes on a small dry like a BWO I will use the flat, 70 denier UTC thread, and lay a flat abdomen back and forth ending back,and then twist the flat thread, and rib forward. It produces a subtly ribbing effect that I want on the small fly. Then a bumped up thorax.
Feathers5
Feathers5 on Apr 2, 2013April 2nd, 2013, 9:19 am EDT

Sometimes on a small dry like a BWO I will use the flat, 70 denier UTC thread, and lay a flat abdomen back and forth ending back,and then twist the flat thread, and rib forward. It produces a subtly ribbing effect that I want on the small fly. Then a bumped up thorax.

That's a good idea, too.
Thanks

Quick Reply