Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Kogotus (Perlodidae) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
This one pretty clearly keys to Kogotus, but it also looks fairly different from specimens I caught in the same creek about a month later in the year. With only one species of the genus known in Washington, I'm not sure about the answer to this ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jan 18, 2016January 18th, 2016, 12:19 pm EST
I like the 47 pounder. Most of the (very few) browns in Michigan's upper AuSable this Spring were around .47 pounds.

Tim...They were just hiding from you, my friend...J.R. must of told them you were headed their way and they hid up under some old logs stacked up against an under-cut bank...:) You scare them, sir...All those "old-timey" flies you tote around from the old legends of the Au Sable river valley...Madsen. Borchers. Roberts. They know they can't resist those things...Better just to hide.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TNEAL
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

TNEAL on Jan 19, 2016January 19th, 2016, 6:06 am EST
Perhaps at age 70 they are just getting harder to see............
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jan 19, 2016January 19th, 2016, 9:31 am EST
That's funny Tim!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 19, 2016January 19th, 2016, 6:02 pm EST
OK, so this guy from Georgia posts a question:
How big would you guess this trout weights?
and quite obviously fails to post the photo somehow. Start at the beginning and read the through the posts and you'll find out just how funny the whole thing became. We certainly know how to amuse ourselves with only the smallest excuse. Only on Troutnut.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Jan 20, 2016January 20th, 2016, 5:44 am EST
Now that Jaird has finally posted the picture I would say that he is correct in his guestimate of between 10-15 lbs. However I think that could be narrowed down to between 10-12 lbs.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jan 20, 2016January 20th, 2016, 5:55 am EST
What picture?

Reminds me of a time when a picture in our family photo album came up missing...

Lessee... February, March, ...
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 20, 2016January 20th, 2016, 7:36 am EST
However I think that could be narrowed down to between 10-12 lbs.

I respectfully disagree. It's clearly more than 10 pounds, and more like 12-14.

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jan 20, 2016January 20th, 2016, 8:02 am EST
OK, one last adjustment to my estimate: 10.41 lbs. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Jan 20, 2016January 20th, 2016, 9:42 am EST
I respectfully disagree. It's clearly more than 10 pounds, and more like 12-14.

I don't know Louis, if you examine the picture, a little more closely, I think that at that particular angle the girth looks a little exaggerated to me.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 20, 2016January 20th, 2016, 10:27 am EST
Hmmm. The angle may exaggerate the girth. OK, I'll go 11-12 pounds, but not an ounce less.

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply