Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

This discussion is about Clearwater Creek.

Clearwater Creek meanders in the distance.

From Clearwater Creek in Alaska
Boatfan77
us

Boatfan77 on Nov 12, 2013November 12th, 2013, 2:46 am EST
Brown trout form foundation of Clear Creek and Bear Greek recoveries
by CHARLIE MEYERS -Denver Post Outdoors Editor
you can read full article here http://www.craigmarine.info/accessories/fishing_equipment/Lifeisbutastream-Browntrout.htm
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Nov 12, 2013November 12th, 2013, 5:38 am EST
I'm reminded of the days I spent fishing out of and around the Denver metropolitan area, "72"-"82". I seem to recall vast stretches of lonely water. I wonder if it still holds true today?
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Gus
Gus's profile picture
colorado

Gus on Jan 24, 2014January 24th, 2014, 8:57 am EST
I just moved from Golden Colorado and spent quite a bit of time on Clear creek. It was a blast to fish and I never saw another person on the sections I fished. As odd as this sounds I think it was because people though it was to accessible (especially the parts that followed I 70). Great dry fly action!
"How do you help that son of a bitch?"

"By taking him fishing"

-A River Runs Through It

www.jsrods.com
SwitchCaste
SwitchCaste's profile picture
Washington

SwitchCaste on Jan 29, 2014January 29th, 2014, 9:53 am EST
Clear Creek is solid. You do want to be closer to Golden when you fish it right now, but overall it's ok. But Gus is right, it won't be crowded, not until peak at least. And you should keep an eye on this fishing report for Clear creek: http://www.rockymtanglers.com/Clear_Creek.riv It's one of the few that's actually updated on a regular basis and the stream flows are auto updated. Good stuff.
Tossing 'em farther than your father!

Quick Reply