Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Zapada cinctipes (Nemouridae) (Tiny Winter Black) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Nymphs of this species were fairly common in late-winter kick net samples from the upper Yakima River. Although I could not find a key to species of Zapada nymphs, a revision of the Nemouridae family by Baumann (1975) includes the following helpful sentence: "2 cervical gills on each side of midline, 1 arising inside and 1 outside of lateral cervical sclerites, usually single and elongate, sometimes constricted but with 3 or 4 branches arising beyond gill base in Zapada cinctipes." This specimen clearly has the branches and is within the range of that species.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Flytyerinpa
Flytyerinpa's profile picture
Pottsville Pa

Flytyerinpa on Jun 9, 2017June 9th, 2017, 2:00 am EDT
I've been thinking about increasing my fly tying materials, I'm going to buy some shuck material but I don't want to buy every color under the sun, so here's my question what are the most popular colors for fishing eastern Pennsylvania ?
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Jun 9, 2017June 9th, 2017, 2:37 am EDT
dark brown, brown, olive, amber, clear or white. That will cover pretty much all the mayflies and caddis. Most of the ephemerellids, (Sulphurs, hendricksons, drunellas) all have dark shucks, Baetids are variable from brown, olive to amber. Brown will cover most other mayflies. Caddis pupal shucks are clear. Some common ones have a tannish/amber tint. That material will take a permanet marker too so you can use a sharpie or pantone to make it any color you want.

Quick Reply