Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Neoleptophlebia (Leptophlebiidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Some characteristics from the microscope images for the tentative species id: The postero-lateral projections are found only on segment 9, not segment 8. Based on the key in Jacobus et al. (2014), it appears to key to Neoleptophlebia adoptiva or Neoleptophlebia heteronea, same as this specimen with pretty different abdominal markings. However, distinguishing between those calls for comparing the lengths of the second and third segment of the labial palp, and this one (like the other one) only seems to have two segments. So I'm stuck on them both. It's likely that the fact that they're immature nymphs stymies identification in some important way.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

MiltRPowell
MiltRPowell on Jan 26, 2015January 26th, 2015, 10:08 am EST

HiJon, nice fish in your post picture. I am new too, but from the state of n.y. l.o.l.:) But your so right this is a great resource. And may I add for anyone that loves fishing on the fly, or just looking to learn something new.- Milt...
flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jan 26, 2015January 26th, 2015, 11:42 am EST
Remember this is a public forum. Don't supply too much info! LOL :)

Said the guy with north of 25-hundred posts...;)

No, that can't be true..............you are just so quiet and nobody knows you are even here!

Matt...Ain't no one here but us chickens...

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jan 26, 2015January 26th, 2015, 12:02 pm EST
Remember this is a public forum. Don't supply too much info! LOL :)

Said the guy with north of 25-hundred posts...;)

Spence

Ha! You have me there, Mister... Only out of all those posts, how many do you recall ever mentioning where to fish? Our new friend got me nervous mentioning certain streams and airport access! LoL
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jan 28, 2015January 28th, 2015, 5:03 pm EST
Ha! You have me there, Mister... Only out of all those posts, how many do you recall ever mentioning where to fish? Our new friend got me nervous mentioning certain streams and airport access! LoL

:) The answer is close to zero good buddy...You have long since pasted that test...You and I will carry a few things to our graves...As it should be. :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood

Quick Reply