Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Kogotus (Perlodidae) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
This one pretty clearly keys to Kogotus, but it also looks fairly different from specimens I caught in the same creek about a month later in the year. With only one species of the genus known in Washington, I'm not sure about the answer to this ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Hunter1
Hunter1's profile picture
Maryland

Hunter1 on Feb 12, 2021February 12th, 2021, 11:23 pm EST
WElcome, and a nice picture.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 13, 2021February 13th, 2021, 12:31 am EST
Pretty bow!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 13, 2021February 13th, 2021, 4:49 am EST
PikeStrike,

You were quite successful with the picture of the trout.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Feb 13, 2021February 13th, 2021, 10:12 am EST
Very nice picture, glass rod? Hope to see more pictures from out your way.
Mike.
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 14, 2021February 14th, 2021, 2:13 am EST
I'm not sure what this means, as I'm not mobile friendly. But the owner of the site, Jason, is. I hope he sees your post and you two hash this out, if it will make the site more useful. I'll give him some time to pick up on this, but in the meantime you can send a message to Troutnut (see posts below).

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 14, 2021February 14th, 2021, 3:20 am EST
Hmm, the site is mobiile friendly. Occasionally when I am at my cabin I check in to see if there are any new posts. Just go to your browser and type in Troutnut.com - the web site pops up.

I was tried it to make sure and it opened instantly.
Red_green_h
Red_green_h's profile picture
New Mexico

Red_green_h on Feb 14, 2021February 14th, 2021, 10:31 am EST
Welcome and beautiful fish, I think he means it's not mobile friendly as in most forums today you can click a button to add a pic rather than insert it with a bbcode. If I may take a stab at this...when Troutnut developed this forum the tech for inserting a pic was using a bbcode. That's how it was. And if I also may add leaving it like this adds to the charm of the forum. Our society is always in a rush to do things. It's nice every now and then to find something that helps to slow it down a bit.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 14, 2021February 14th, 2021, 12:07 pm EST
in most forums today you can click a button to add a pic rather than insert it with a bbcod

I frequent another fly fishing forum with mostly PA residents and their photo sharing process is similar to this. You can't just do a "Browse" and insert a picture. Also no photos larger than 300K are allowed. I have to first resize my picture before I can post it.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 15, 2021February 15th, 2021, 5:06 am EST
PikeStrike;

The forum doesn't use an adaptive design, so letters look tiny on mobiles and visitors bounce.

It sounds like you are about a thousand light years ahead of me when discussing the functions of the forum code page. I'm still trying to figure out how to add links.

Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 15, 2021February 15th, 2021, 7:54 am EST
Matt, it's easy to add a link. When you reply, right above the green reply box you will see "For help formatting your text and adding images, see the forum code page." Click on the "forum code page" blue text and it will take you to directions. Basically you use square brackets to set up all commands, putting the command in front of your target text, and a command with a / behind it to turn off the command.

--Fred Chappell
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Feb 17, 2021February 17th, 2021, 5:18 am EST
The forum doesn't use an adaptive design, so letters look tiny on mobiles and visitors bounce. But I guess if there was an easy way to remedy it, Jason would already fix it.

You're right. It's all custom code, so a redesign is a major job. I'm working on a new, modern, adaptive version using the Bootstrap CSS framework, but it's piled atop several more urgent work deadlines right now. Still, it's very much on my radar!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply