Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Kogotus (Perlodidae) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
This one pretty clearly keys to Kogotus, but it also looks fairly different from specimens I caught in the same creek about a month later in the year. With only one species of the genus known in Washington, I'm not sure about the answer to this ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Gunnison
Gunnison's profile picture
Ohio City, Colorado

Gunnison on Nov 24, 2018November 24th, 2018, 11:58 am EST
Fellas-
I'm new to the forum and I'm having a tough time trying to figure out how to post photos to this board. Can someone give me a step by step tutorial as to how to add a photo to a post? Thanks in advance! Doug
Doug Dillingham
Author of " Fly Fishing the Gunnison Country "
Available at https://www.gunnisonflyfish.com
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Nov 24, 2018November 24th, 2018, 12:46 pm EST
You first need to have an account with a photo hosting service. Then you can use the code described on the "forum code page" and upload your pictures to the forum. Maybe others can explain other methods. Welcome to Troutnut.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Iasgair
Iasgair's profile picture
Colorado

Iasgair on Nov 29, 2018November 29th, 2018, 2:08 am EST
Hey Gunnison, when I get a few minutes after work, I'll try to help you. I have figured out a way and it's pretty simple once you do it a few times. Problem is, do I remember how?

If I can get it to work, I'll send you step by step instructions.

Ohio City is a really nice place to live I bet. Sure beats anyplace down here by Boulder.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Nov 29, 2018November 29th, 2018, 8:43 am EST
Iasgair wrote;

Would you mind posting them up in the general forum for all of us to see?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Nov 29, 2018November 29th, 2018, 10:02 am EST
Yes please post, I really would like to find a easier way for me to share some neat photos.

Mike.
Iasgair
Colorado

Iasgair on Nov 29, 2018November 29th, 2018, 10:44 am EST
Iasgair wrote;

Would you mind posting them up in the general forum for all of us to see?

Yes, I will do my best. Might have to call assistance from a teenager, but I'm trying right now.
Iasgair
Colorado

Iasgair on Nov 29, 2018November 29th, 2018, 10:53 am EST
testing

Iasgair
Colorado

Iasgair on Nov 29, 2018November 29th, 2018, 11:20 am EST
Ok, it worked guys. Keep in mind I'm not technical, and all my photos are in a file on my computer, and that's where I get the photos from to post.

Step 1, Go to the forum code page.

Step 2, Highlight and copy the image link.

Step 3, Go back to your post, then paste the image link.

Step 4, Delete the http://www.wherever.com/whatever.jpg ; but not the words image in the brackets because you'll be placing your photo between them.

Step 5, Now, type Post Image in your search bar, and click on Postimage.org

Step 6, click on choose images, and this will bring up your personal photos.

Step 7, Select the photo you want and then click the open box at the bottom.

Step 8, Go down the list till you see Direct Link, and copy that link.

Step 9, Go back to the forum and paste your photo between the bracketed images.

Then you're done.

It's pretty quick when you get used to it. And yes, I needed my teenage son to help me.

So lets me try again to make sure.

Yep, that's how I am able to do it.
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Nov 30, 2018November 30th, 2018, 9:22 am EST
Cool, thanks for the step by step and those are pretty neat pics, keep posting.

Mike.
Iasgair
Colorado

Iasgair on Nov 30, 2018November 30th, 2018, 12:07 pm EST
I hope it works for all of you. I just take a photo on my phone and e-mail it to my e-mail address at home, then download them. Then just do what I instructed to post photo's.

If I explained something that's not making sense, let me know what step it is and I'll try to clear up my explanations.
Gunnison
Ohio City, Colorado

Gunnison on Nov 30, 2018November 30th, 2018, 10:49 pm EST
Iasgair-
Thanks for the help with photos. I'll give it a try when I have some time this weekend. And yes, I so love living in Ohio City (east of Gunnison), mostly cuz I get to call the Gunnison, Taylor, East, and Lake Fork my home waters. Pretty tough to beat the Gunnison Valley as a fishery. Doug
Doug Dillingham
Iasgair
Colorado

Iasgair on Dec 1, 2018December 1st, 2018, 12:20 am EST
Iasgair-
Thanks for the help with photos. I'll give it a try when I have some time this weekend. And yes, I so love living in Ohio City (east of Gunnison), mostly cuz I get to call the Gunnison, Taylor, East, and Lake Fork my home waters. Pretty tough to beat the Gunnison Valley as a fishery. Doug

I have never fished the Gunn. I keep hearing about the crowds, and the tail water on the Taylor can get pretty bad as well. But I guess if the crowds don't bother you, I hear those are the places to fish. Hope you are able to post some of those fish photo's from there.
Gunnison
Ohio City, Colorado

Gunnison on Dec 1, 2018December 1st, 2018, 11:09 am EST
In all reality, the crowds on the Gunnison and the Taylor are nothing compared to more easily accessed rivers like the Pan, Roaring Fork and the South Platte. The Lake Fork of the Gunnison near Lake City is probably the best Colorado trout stream that almost no one fishes. To my dying day I'll claim that the Gunnison Basin is Colorado's finest fishery without a close 2nd. Doug
Doug Dillingham
Gunnison
Ohio City, Colorado

Gunnison on Dec 1, 2018December 1st, 2018, 11:23 am EST
Alright, I think I may have figured this posting photo thing out...this will be a good test.

Doug Dillingham
Iasgair
Colorado

Iasgair on Dec 14, 2018December 14th, 2018, 5:06 am EST
Good job Gunnison, now lets see some of those Gunnison fish that everyone talks about.

Quick Reply