Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Holocentropus (Polycentropodidae) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to tentatively key to Holocentropus, although I can't make out the anal spines in Couplet 7 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae nor the dark bands in Couplet 4 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae, making me wonder if I went wrong somewhere in keying it out. I don't see where that could have happened, though. It might also be that it's a very immature larva and doesn't possess all the identifying characteristics in the key yet. If Holocentropus is correct, then Holocentropus flavus and Holocentropus interruptus are the two likely possibilities based on range, but I was not able to find a description of their larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Al514 has attached these 2 pictures. The message is below.
Al514
Al514's profile picture
Central New York

Al514 on Nov 21, 2013November 21st, 2013, 2:46 am EST
JOHNW's post reminded me of a brown I caught last fall that was colored up like no other brown I've caught before.

I love when they get this fired up!
Kschaefer3
Kschaefer3's profile picture
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Nov 21, 2013November 21st, 2013, 5:02 am EST
Beautiful colors on a big brown, does it get better?
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Nov 21, 2013November 21st, 2013, 2:05 pm EST
WOW!!! They sure do get colored up fine for spawning, don't they? Very nice!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 23, 2013November 23rd, 2013, 6:57 am EST
Possibly the most gorgeous fish photos I've seen. Good work all around.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Al514
Al514's profile picture
Central New York

Al514 on Nov 24, 2013November 24th, 2013, 2:07 am EST
Thanks guys, appreciate it.
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Nov 28, 2013November 28th, 2013, 4:20 pm EST
Stunning fish and great photo!