Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Skwala (Perlodidae) (Large Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This Skwala nymph still has a couple months left to go before hatching, but it's still a good representative of its species, which was extremely abundant in my sample for a stonefly of this size. It's obvious why the Yakima is known for its Skwala hatch.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Mike999
central new jersey

Mike999 on Jun 5, 2014June 5th, 2014, 7:08 am EDT
Is there any access on Wallenpaupack creek or is it all private? I fished a part of it years back. I know at one time their was a club or someone who was starting one on a large piece of property a few years back. Tell me all!

Thanks!
Catskilljon
Upstate NY

Catskilljon on Jun 5, 2014June 5th, 2014, 4:25 pm EDT
As far as I know, its private for the most part.

Back in the late 60's someone caught a 24-pound brown in the lake. That was a PA record for years until Humphreys caught that 34 incher. I bet in the fall some of those monsters make their way up to the feeder and start the springs next generation.

I drive past there heading to the Catskills. CJ
Kschaefer3
Kschaefer3's profile picture
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Jun 6, 2014June 6th, 2014, 6:17 am EDT
In PA, do landowners own the stream bed?
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jun 6, 2014June 6th, 2014, 11:40 am EDT
It is complicated Kyle. I'm not an expert but I think it has something to do with whether or not the stream, river, creek, whatever was ever deemed navigable. If it had that classification then the state owns the bottom. However if the body of water was never deemed navigable, even back when William Penn was doleing out his "Kings Grants", then the current deed owner owns the stream bed and can effectively keep you out of his property.

There are a couple of rivers in NYS where the deed owner has a traceable Kings Grant that goes back hundreds of years. On those rivers you can not even anchor and fish out of a drift boat. You can only cast as you drift through. If you hook up you just have to drag the fish out until you get out of the posted water.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Kschaefer3
Kschaefer3's profile picture
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Jun 6, 2014June 6th, 2014, 11:49 am EDT
Thanks, Matt.

That is complicated. Oddly enough, it is not that much different than the MN or WI laws, just the interpretation of "navigable". In MN and WI everyone uses the saying, "Feet wet to fish". Regardless of ownership, if you are standing in the river, you can legally fish. Trust me when I say, there are plenty of landowners who will try to challenge that. Luckily our DNR recognized that would be the case and put in angler harassment laws.

In WI, the law even states that you can exit the stream for impassable conditions. Most people I know say that you shouldn't press your luck. "Impassable" could be very subjective, and out of staters have to pay cash or credit on the spot for breaking laws...else it's down to the county jail until funds are received!

Quick Reply