Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Kogotus (Perlodidae) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
This one pretty clearly keys to Kogotus, but it also looks fairly different from specimens I caught in the same creek about a month later in the year. With only one species of the genus known in Washington, I'm not sure about the answer to this ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionSE PA
Specific LocationFrench Creek
Dates FishedMid May
Time of DayMorning
Fish CaughtLarge Rainbow

Details and Discussion

Jtime
Jtime on May 18, 2015May 18th, 2015, 10:30 am EDT
I caught a nice Rainbow on French Creek in SE PA this past weekend. I caught it on a white streamer.

Unfortunately I found out later this section of creek is stocked by a private club and non-members aren't allowed to fish there. Oh well, at least I caught this one.

Catskilljon
Upstate NY

Catskilljon on May 18, 2015May 18th, 2015, 2:17 pm EDT
Them big bows come a little easier from the truck don't they ;)

That was a pretty good amateur movie though, the only part that made me queasy was the dude picking the fish up by its gills...yikes! CJ
Jtime
Jtime on May 19, 2015May 19th, 2015, 4:51 am EDT
I'll admit, it's fun catching a big fish ..... but it kind of cheapens the experience knowing it was purchased by a club and dumped in the stream a few weeks earlier.

I kind of wish clubs like that would stock private ponds and leave the public streams alone.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 19, 2015May 19th, 2015, 7:30 am EDT
Yes, but it is still a nice fish and don't think any of us wouldn't want to catch it either - no matter what they might say.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Catskilljon
Upstate NY

Catskilljon on May 19, 2015May 19th, 2015, 5:44 pm EDT

I kind of wish clubs like that would stock private ponds and leave the public streams alone.

I hear you. Fortunately though if they survive 2 or 3 years they become as hard to catch as the wild ones, and sometimes hard to tell apart from them too. I wont mention any exact places, but there is a club by my place that stocks heavily on their water and the members there boast of 25" browns and slightly smaller bows all spring and summer long.

A buddy of mine who doesn't get out much anymore took me to a public section of stream around a half mile downstream from the club water and I hooked and lost 3 trout way bigger than I am used to catching at any other place up there. He was laughing from the bank telling me "I told you so", and recanted the story that in high water events the club fish move downstream and end up staying in this highly oxygenated, protected section of water.

Good video man...thanks for the post. CJ

Quick Reply