Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Kogotus (Perlodidae) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
This one pretty clearly keys to Kogotus, but it also looks fairly different from specimens I caught in the same creek about a month later in the year. With only one species of the genus known in Washington, I'm not sure about the answer to this ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Aug 7, 2012August 7th, 2012, 2:44 am EDT
Was at the E. yesterday am. Water was more discolored than I have EVER seen it below the portal. Fishing was terrible! Fished about 3 hrs and only caught 1 brown, on a bitch creek pattern. NO other hits , nothing. My partner caught only 1 bow, very bad. Myfeeling was the fish simply could not see our flies due to the discoloration. Thought maybe should've tied on a brightly colored streamer w/ a trailer or something; what say you?

Thanks,

Adirman
Sayfu
Sayfu on Aug 7, 2012August 7th, 2012, 5:48 am EDT

Remember what the bass hardware guys choose to do...Slow with a purple worm, or a black worm, and silhouette what can't be seen...chartreuse, down on that end of the spectrum. Problem can be fish are more interested in avoiding the particulate than feeding. If any clearer feed water coming in definitely a good choice to fish. Me? I call that bar water, and off I go.
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Aug 7, 2012August 7th, 2012, 6:01 am EDT
I was thinking about this and think you may be right! Sometimes, conditions just dictate pursuing alternate activities other than trout fishing!
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Aug 7, 2012August 7th, 2012, 10:14 am EDT
Sometimes, conditions just dictate pursuing alternate activities other than trout fishing!

Nonsense! They just dictate trout fishing somewhere else. ;)
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Aug 7, 2012August 7th, 2012, 10:33 pm EDT
Right now I have one spot left that is fishing well, my favorite trout pond that has a spring-fed creek coming into it. The water in the creek is ice-cold - I know, I have snorkeled it - and the brookies are stacking up in there and will hit just about anything. Over the next few days I will be hitting the streams again, but I don't expect to do very well because of the low waters and heat. It's the "dog days of August" and trout fishing is tough, you just have to know where to go...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Aug 9, 2012August 9th, 2012, 7:21 am EDT
I was there last month, looking over Catskill waters to include in a FF course next year. The portal issues there scratched it from my list. I can't rely on it to be fishable for beginners, or just as importantly, to be pretty enough to elicit the ooohs and ahhhs one expects from "trout water".

Quick Reply