Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Male Baetidae (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This dun emerged from a mature nymph on my desk. Unfortunately its wings didn't perfectly dry out.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Levwood has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
What is the genus and species and common name of this mayfly?
Levwood
Grosse Pte. Michigan

Levwood on Jun 10, 2013June 10th, 2013, 3:16 pm EDT
Mayfly captured in the Black River, northern Michigan on June 7. Can anyone tell me the name of this bug? Thanks, Lev
levwood@earthlink.net
Lev
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jun 10, 2013June 10th, 2013, 6:02 pm EDT
Looks to me like a Leptophlebia...cupida or nebulosa...Though I've never seen the odd dark markings on the wing?

We call it the Borcher's Drake...Thought to be the model for Ernie Borcher's famous Au Sable fly.
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jun 10, 2013June 10th, 2013, 6:16 pm EDT
It looks like a male Isonychia tusculanensis imago, but they're not supposed to be in N. MI. Leptophlebia nebulosa looks very similar and does have the brown tipped wings as well. They have a terminal filament that I'm not seeing though. Even so, nebulosa is found in MI, so that would be my guess. Perhaps the middle tail was knocked off as these guys are always losing tails.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Levwood
Grosse Pte. Michigan

Levwood on Jun 11, 2013June 11th, 2013, 3:53 pm EDT
Gentlemen, you guys are great. I do not have other photos, just this one. One of the tails did break off in my fingers. I'll go with the Leptophlebia since the folks at Gates Lodge did mention this off the cuff. If anyone else has a guess please weigh in but I think this case is solved! Thanks.

Lev
Lev
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jun 12, 2013June 12th, 2013, 9:59 am EDT
One of the tails did break off in my fingers.

Nebulosa it is then, Lev.

The brown spot is likely from too much finger pressure on the wings with the hands. That often breaks the veins and lets the fluid out into the wings membrane.

Huh? Were'd you get this from, Mack...:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Jun 12, 2013June 12th, 2013, 11:28 am EDT
The brown spot is likely from too much finger pressure on the wings with the hands. That often breaks the veins and lets the fluid out into the wings membrane.

What?
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jun 12, 2013June 12th, 2013, 1:06 pm EDT
Hi Mack,

I too have observed a yellow liquid-appearing spot, usually in the tip of one fore wing, and have often wondered about it, although it never occurred to me that it might be the result of a mayfly having been captured by its wing tips.

However, in the case of Leptophlebia nebulosa , the brown staining on the outer 2/5 of their fore wings serve to distinguish them from other Leptophlebia species.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Levwood
Grosse Pte. Michigan

Levwood on Jun 13, 2013June 13th, 2013, 9:38 am EDT
You guys are awesome. I have a great shot of a large black Michigan stonefly you can take a shot at too. Want it?

Lev
Lev

Quick Reply