Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Ike
MN

Ike on Aug 15, 2012August 15th, 2012, 5:39 am EDT
I'm fairly new to fly fishing and tying with only 5 trips under my belt and around 3 months worth of flies. in the next few days I'm going to be fishing the rush and kinnikinnick rivers. I was wondering if anyone had any information on hatches going on this time of year or any other advice that might help me make this trip a success. Id be truly appreciative of any help.
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Aug 15, 2012August 15th, 2012, 8:14 am EDT
I'm sure someone will pipe in. In the meantime, you can Google "hatch charts" or "emergence tables" and rivers in your area and probably come up with some.
Ike
MN

Ike on Aug 15, 2012August 15th, 2012, 11:23 am EDT
thanks! i was thinking possibly tricos in the morning and terrestrials later in the day. just wondering if anyone could confirm or correct that. otherwise hopefully that will produce some fish.

Quick Reply