Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Sweltsa (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This species was fairly abundant in a February sample of the upper Yakima.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Redtag has attached this picture. The message is below.
Scanned with Epson scanner on 300 dpi
GldstrmSam
GldstrmSam's profile picture
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Feb 17, 2012February 17th, 2012, 8:10 am EST
To check out your flies - a tub is good, but a swimming pool or clear pond nearby is even better.

Even better than that is my 55 gallon aquarium.

Maybe I should have posted this in the fly balance thread, but anyway in around one sentence how do you keep your scuds from riding the wrong way in the water??? I have read most of this thread, but I never came across a very short, clear answer(if that is possible).
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Feb 17, 2012February 17th, 2012, 8:37 am EST
The good news, Sam, is that scuds don't necessarily orient themselves in any particular way so you can get away with upsidedowners. You wanted it short, so re-read a little closer the conversation further up the thread. Your question is answered about as thoroughly as possible there, particularly my post with the bird'nest photo's and Paul's responses and photos following. Bottom line, remember the parachute analogy.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Feb 17, 2012February 17th, 2012, 8:42 am EST
Thanks, Tony. Yes, lots to think about and play with in this.

The best way to right a hook (or control point orientation) is by keeping turbulence (“wings”, tails, picked dubbing, what have you) up top, above the plane of the shank.

The photo with the arrows on it is one of my scud ties, in basic design, although that one happens to be orange -not the color of most scuds -live ones anyway.
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Feb 17, 2012February 17th, 2012, 8:52 am EST
Sam,

Paul's last post answers your question as succinctly as possible.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
GldstrmSam
GldstrmSam's profile picture
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Feb 17, 2012February 17th, 2012, 8:53 am EST
Thanks Kurt and Paul.
It was starting to get confusing with all of the "half" page posts. Not that I anything against lengthy post because I know it is not necessarily easy to write them, but sometimes I can understand it better if it is "short and sweet".
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Feb 17, 2012February 17th, 2012, 9:32 am EST
Short and sweet aren't always easy to get to. Still learning here too.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Feb 17, 2012February 17th, 2012, 10:19 am EST
Short and sweet aren't always easy to get too. Still learning here too.

Just ask Spence...;)
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood

Quick Reply