Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Epeorus albertae (Heptageniidae) (Pink Lady) Mayfly Nymph from the East Fork Issaquah Creek in Washington
This specimen keys to the Epeorus albertae group of species. Of the five species in that group, the two known in Washington state are Epeorus albertae and Epeorus dulciana. Of the two, albertae has been collected in vastly more locations in Washington than dulciana, suggesting it is far more common. On that basis alone I'm tentatively putting this nymph in albertae, with the large caveat that there's no real information to rule out dulciana.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lateral view of a Female Baetis tricaudatus (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Owasco Inlet in New York
This female was associated with a male of the same species.
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Apr 7, 2007April 7th, 2007, 6:42 am EDT
Have you invented a new hot drink derived from mayflies, perhaps?

If Konchu has concocted such a beverage, I hope he'll keep the recipe a secret. I imagine the instructions begin with "Select a large female Ephemera or Hexagenia imago, place her on the surface of a mug of hot water, and cut off her head...." ;) (A bit of an inside joke for a bit of an inside thread.)
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Apr 8, 2007April 8th, 2007, 2:57 am EDT
My wife's dun 'n Coke recipe is available in the Midwest/Great Lakes hatch reports anyone? thread.
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Apr 8, 2007April 8th, 2007, 5:26 am EDT
Hmmm...well, if we're counting accidental concoctions, I'll admit to partaking of a canned soda/bee combination on more than one occasion. (Your wife's "dun dunking" was accidental, wasn't it?) And my wife once drank a moth with her Pepsi. But I don't think that counts because the moth escaped and flew away when she gagged at the strange sensation of something fluttering behind her teeth.

For the truly diehard bug-eaters out there, Rick Hafele reports that lightly sauteed damselfly nymphs are tasty. And my cousin (a former Army Ranger) used to delight in eating bugs on a bet. :)
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Apr 10, 2007April 10th, 2007, 4:32 pm EDT
Bringing this back on topic:

Troutnut, how long does your tricaudatus hatch last?

Is it continuous for most of the season, or are there distinct phases to it?
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Apr 10, 2007April 10th, 2007, 4:39 pm EDT
I don't know. To be honest, these are the first specimens I've caught which I could be reasonably certain belonged to tricaudatus. Most of the Baetids I photographed later in the season turned out to belong to other genera.

That doesn't mean there aren't multiple important tricaudatus broods around here -- I just haven't been in any one place long enough yet to track the local hatches in any detail.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Apr 10, 2007April 10th, 2007, 4:50 pm EDT
Thanks for your honesty, troutnut.

Does anyone from western North America have perspective on their local tricaudatus hatches?

Quick Reply