Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Zapada cinctipes (Nemouridae) (Tiny Winter Black) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Nymphs of this species were fairly common in late-winter kick net samples from the upper Yakima River. Although I could not find a key to species of Zapada nymphs, a revision of the Nemouridae family by Baumann (1975) includes the following helpful sentence: "2 cervical gills on each side of midline, 1 arising inside and 1 outside of lateral cervical sclerites, usually single and elongate, sometimes constricted but with 3 or 4 branches arising beyond gill base in Zapada cinctipes." This specimen clearly has the branches and is within the range of that species.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lateral view of a Female Leucrocuta hebe (Heptageniidae) (Little Yellow Quill) Mayfly Spinner from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
I found this spinner on the same piece of stream as a similar dun, probably of the same species.
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Oct 20, 2006October 20th, 2006, 3:27 am EDT
Jason-

Your question about the Little J mystery hatch finally motivated me to put all the pieces together on this. I am now confident enough to recommend that specimens #643 (female dun), #622 (female spinner), and #644 (female spinner) should all be entered under Leucrocuta hebe along with the two male spinners already on the Leucrocuta page.

Thomas Ames' Hatch Guide for New England Streams has a photo of a female spinner on pg. 126 that matches these precisely. Apropos of your photo of this specimen in particular, he makes this interesting observation:

"After molting the yellowish hues of the females get richer, and the markings on their clarified wings get more defined, with a propensity toward rainbow-like refractions[my emphasis]."

With a fairly complete collection of photos, the observations from the Little J gang, and mine from pg. 93, I think you can assemble a nice page on L. hebe. You'll have to start by upgrading its significance as an important hatch. It is also surprisingly widespread in both of our states. I have encountered very few streams in PA or NY that didn't have at least a token population, and most have lengthy, fishable hatches.

Like many other hatches that shine in the late season, this one is also historically late in receiving the recognition it deserves.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 10, 2006November 10th, 2006, 8:27 am EST
Way cool...Omigod, I'm on the road to becoming a bug geek. Curse you, Gonzo.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Nov 10, 2006November 10th, 2006, 3:31 pm EST
Sorry, Louis, but I think the latent BG tendency was already there. And your curse is misdirected. Jason is the true instigator--I'm just a hitchhiker (or "clinger," in mayfly nymph terminology). :)
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Nov 11, 2006November 11th, 2006, 6:28 am EST
It's okay, he doesn't need to blame one of us. He can blame both!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 12, 2006November 12th, 2006, 5:40 am EST
Don't try to save Gonzo by taking on blame, Jason; he is clearly the main culprit. He had me counting tails on "sulphurs" long before I discovered the addictive pull of your bug site.

So that ancient and crippling Druidic curse that results in the victim thinking incessantly of various salmonids and their dinners falls only on him. . . .

OH, drat, another wasted curse!

--Fred Chappell
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Nov 12, 2006November 12th, 2006, 6:23 am EST
OK....I am Spartacus!....No, I am Spartacus! Curse away, pal! We can't all live forever, and if I have to go, dreaming of salmonids and their dinners is a far better way than most!!! :)
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 12, 2006November 12th, 2006, 11:07 am EST
No, I now withdraw the curse, wasted on Gonzo because I realize he long ago fell prey to trout obsession. I shall instead curse politicians who need this curse more than he does. Live on Spartacus!!

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply