Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

JC_in_VA
Northern VA

JC_in_VA on Mar 11, 2007March 11th, 2007, 1:26 am EST
Yesterday (10 Mar 07)I was fishing Passage Creek which is between Front Royal and Strasburg, VA. Around 2:00 PM I picked up a fly that was splashing on the water surface. To me it looked like a Mayfly except it was black and large. Approx. length 1 1/4 inch of body, wing ht.the same, tail about the same. The tail was white, the body was dull coal black, the abdomn had very small white dots around it like ribbing. The wings were upright, very black and shaped like a mayfly. I did not get a good look at the head as it flew away when I was tried to get out the camera. Please let me know what it was. Thank you.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Mar 11, 2007March 11th, 2007, 4:04 am EDT
Wow, that doesn't describe any mayfly I know. Maybe it's some strange southeastern species of Leptophlebia. It seems more likely it was something other than a mayfly, unless you're absolutely positive that's what it was.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Mar 11, 2007March 11th, 2007, 9:04 am EDT
Were the wings solid black, or did they have speckles or pale areas?
JC_in_VA
Northern VA

JC_in_VA on Mar 11, 2007March 11th, 2007, 12:19 pm EDT
Troutnut,

I am almost sure that it is a Mayfly by the upright, rounded top wings.

Konchu,

The wings were like a lace with areas that let light thru, making them light almost transparent.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Mar 11, 2007March 11th, 2007, 1:54 pm EDT
I am almost sure that it is a Mayfly by the upright, rounded top wings.

Positive it wasn't a damselfly?

Normally I wouldn't ask, but they do sometimes hold their rounded wings upright, and it just seems so strange that a mayfly of that size would be around right now.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Mar 11, 2007March 11th, 2007, 3:08 pm EDT
JC-

Upright wings and tails of body length would seem to indicate mayfly. Sure can’t think of anything else that description fits. However, a body length of 1.25 inches (~31 mm) would eliminate all but several genera of mayflies, namely Hexagenia and Litobrancha, neither of which would have white tails.

The thing that bothers me about your description is that you refer to tail, as if it only had one. Perhaps you were mistaking a long ovipositor for a tail, which would point one in a whole different identification direction. What do you think?
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
JC_in_VA
Northern VA

JC_in_VA on Mar 12, 2007March 12th, 2007, 9:44 am EDT
Roger,

It definatly was not the ovipositor as there were two of them.

Next time I will be ready with a camera and then we can discuss this fly further.

Thanks for all of the help.
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jun 4, 2011June 4th, 2011, 12:50 pm EDT
While the possibility remains that this report could be of a creature from an entirely different order, if it's Ephemeroptan I believe it's a member of the family Uberspoofidae. There are currently four common genera, each represented by a single species:

Cannibus deleriosa
Spiritus imbiba
Ento imaginea vividus
Femurosa pullis

Determinations are usually hard to pin down by discriptions alone as this family exhibits substantial variability and illusiveness. To date, I'm not aware of any retained specimens or photographs of Uberspoofids. The only way to know for sure is by direct observation of the specimen. Lacking one (which is always the case), observation of the collector at time of forum posting will usually suffice. The real difficulty is the reporter is usually never heard from again (which raises the possibility that Uberspoofids are carnivorous). If I were to hazard a guess I would go with F. pullis

Regards,

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jun 4, 2011June 4th, 2011, 5:52 pm EDT
Kurt, I have no experience with deleriosa, though there are a couple of other varieties that are quite interesting...I'm actually examining a Spiritus imbiba right now, I think it's variety sherrius, kind of a reddish-bronze color. Have you ever run into Lucius intheskiwith variety diamondii? It's very colorful...If I'm not mistaken it's in the family Psychedelidae, which also includes Psilocybius laffmyassofficus.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jun 5, 2011June 5th, 2011, 11:15 am EDT
Oh, for shame! Now we make jokes based on a subject as serious as taxonomy? How could one stoop so low?
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jun 5, 2011June 5th, 2011, 11:27 am EDT
Sorry, couldn't help myself. An encounter with S. imbiba made me do it! :-)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jun 5, 2011June 5th, 2011, 12:48 pm EDT
That old S. imbiba will get ya every time...

BTW Taxon, when are you gonna mature and emerge? Shouldn't we be seeing an ADULT caddis face on here sometime this summer, hmmmm???

Jonathon

P.S. JC, my apologies for hijacking your thread.
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jun 5, 2011June 5th, 2011, 12:56 pm EDT
Think the Statute of Limitations long ran out on hijacking this particular thread, Jonathon.:)
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jun 5, 2011June 5th, 2011, 1:03 pm EDT
You mean we're safe? Well then...your turn Kurt!

JMD

Quick Reply