Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Grammotaulius betteni (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This is a striking caddis larva with an interesting color pattern on the head. Here are some characteristics I was able to see under the microscope, but could not easily expose for a picture:
- The prosternal horn is present.
- The mandible is clearly toothed, not formed into a uniform scraper blade.
- The seems to be only 2 major setae on the ventral edge of the hind femur.
- Chloride epithelia seem to be absent from the dorsal side of any abdominal segments.
Based on these characteristics and the ones more easily visible from the pictures, this seems to be Grammotaulius. The key's description of the case is spot-on: "Case cylindrical, made of longitudinally arranged sedge or similar leaves," as is the description of the markings on the head, "Dorsum of head light brownish yellow with numerous discrete, small, dark spots." The spot pattern on the head is a very good match to figure 19.312 of Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019). The species ID is based on Grammotaulius betteni being the only species of this genus known in Washington state.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Aaron7_8
Aaron7_8's profile picture
Helena Montana

Aaron7_8 on Jan 14, 2009January 14th, 2009, 3:05 pm EST
What would you recomend as material for making a seinne to sample for bugs????
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jan 14, 2009January 14th, 2009, 4:51 pm EST
Aaron-

Just get roll of window screening material. It can be purchased at a hardware store for perhaps $5-$8.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Leakywaders
New England

Leakywaders on Jan 14, 2009January 14th, 2009, 5:07 pm EST
I use wedding viel material, get it at a craft/fabric shop... they even have pink. More flexable than the window screening. Don't use aluminum screening, loose ends snag clothing, etc. The plastic window screening tends to unravel.
Drag free??? If the fly didn't drag, I wouldn't know where it was!!
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jan 15, 2009January 15th, 2009, 12:25 am EST
Be careful if you use your wife's wedding veil not to get it dirty.

I like the idea of using something white, as Pete suggests. My seine is made from window screen, but it's black and it can be hard to see insects well on it, particularly subtle color variations. Perhaps I'll make a white one for myself.

More important than the rigidity of the screen is probably how you frame it. I have a very simple design - two upright pieces of trim (probably 1/4" x 1-1/2") that the screen is stapled to. That way, it rolls up like a scroll when not in use and still gives you a way of holding it securely when it's in the current. Make the trim just short enough that you can carry the seine in the back pocket of your vest. Mine's a little longer than I'd like - nice for keeping my hands out of frigid water while seining, but not so easy to take with me on the stream. I keep meaning to take a few inches off it, but I spend too much time on the internet to have the time to do it.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Leakywaders
New England

Leakywaders on Jan 15, 2009January 15th, 2009, 10:26 am EST
OK, I got fancy, I used 1" dowels, about 3' long
Drag free??? If the fly didn't drag, I wouldn't know where it was!!
Aaron7_8
Aaron7_8's profile picture
Helena Montana

Aaron7_8 on Jan 16, 2009January 16th, 2009, 12:57 pm EST
Hey thanks for the suggestions. Tight lines.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 16, 2009January 16th, 2009, 1:44 pm EST
Gonzo, who is off skiing for the winter, showed me how to make a small seine with wooden or fiberglass dowels, grey plastic window screen, and duct tape. It works very well and can be rolled up and carried in a vest.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Jan 17, 2009January 17th, 2009, 1:58 am EST
I use 1/4 inch dowels about 10 inches longwith hot melt glue.

JAD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Jan 17, 2009January 17th, 2009, 5:57 am EST
at last! a recipe i have all the ingredients for! thank you JAD
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra

Quick Reply