Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Zapada cinctipes (Nemouridae) (Tiny Winter Black) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Nymphs of this species were fairly common in late-winter kick net samples from the upper Yakima River. Although I could not find a key to species of Zapada nymphs, a revision of the Nemouridae family by Baumann (1975) includes the following helpful sentence: "2 cervical gills on each side of midline, 1 arising inside and 1 outside of lateral cervical sclerites, usually single and elongate, sometimes constricted but with 3 or 4 branches arising beyond gill base in Zapada cinctipes." This specimen clearly has the branches and is within the range of that species.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

TomMarkert
TomMarkert's profile picture
Willow Grove PA

TomMarkert on Oct 6, 2011October 6th, 2011, 4:09 pm EDT
New to the forum, but have been reading for a week or two. My question is:
Has anyone had any experience with this stuff?
Pseudo Hackle by Hareline. It comes in two "Sizes" 1/2 inch and 1 1/2 inch
Not easy to work with at first, but after playing with it for a bit I was able to use it to palmer some wooly buggers and Kracklebacks. Anything under a size 12 3x shank looks like poo though.
I have been playing with the left over trimmings as antenna and tail material and have even took some of the fibers and tried mixing it into hares mask dubbing. FAIL
I bought a TON of this stuff and am now stuck with it. Anyone have any ideas or tips or tricks? (Before the young and patient lady to my left disembowels me!)
I think I'm confused, wait, maybe not!
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Oct 11, 2011October 11th, 2011, 2:34 pm EDT
Hi Tom,

Welcome to the forum! Besides ribbing wooly buggers, you can wrap the stuff tight and trim it to a lot of different shapes. Caddis cases, dragonfly nymph bodies, sculpin bodies, etc. You can also rib big nymphs with it and trim to simulate gills. There are all kinds of possibilities.

Of course it may just end up as part of your material collection that is seldom used. Don't feel bad if it turns out to be the latter. I've got a closet full of stuff in that category, so you wouldn't be alone. Besides, you never know what light bulb may go off in your head someday in the future.:)

Regards,

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Oct 11, 2011October 11th, 2011, 6:17 pm EDT
To be honest, there have been materials that have sat in my fly tying boxes for years, even more than a decade without being used for anything. Then one day, I pulled some out and started messing around with them, and for example, came up with at least two deadly variants (the original and the rainbow) of my Killer Bass Fly, which has been one of my most successful patterns ever. So, you never know...all it takes is a little imagination. In the above case, it involved grizzly marabou (plucked from the backsides of capes and saddles, when they used to leave that stuff on there instead of trimming off everything that wasn't "perfect"), silver tinsel chenille, and some rainbow sparkle-braid-type stuff. Now I can't live without those materials! OK, yes I can, but will catch a lot less fish and be a lot less happy...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
TomMarkert
TomMarkert's profile picture
Willow Grove PA

TomMarkert on Oct 15, 2011October 15th, 2011, 3:49 pm EDT
Thanks for the replies, and Kurt thanks for the ideas.
My newest experiment with it was trimming off a few fibers and using only the "Rib" to imitate a shuck on a crippled emerger. Havent gotten to the water yet to see how it sits in the water.
I think I'm confused, wait, maybe not!
NeoDoc
Irvine, CA

NeoDoc on May 11, 2015May 11th, 2015, 7:53 am EDT
Just ran across this as a material > check out YouTube video - pseudo diawl fly pattern fly (4 years after your question)

Quick Reply