Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Amphizoa (Amphizoidae) Beetle Larva from Sears Creek in Washington
This is the first of it's family I've seen, collected from a tiny, fishless stream in the Cascades. The three species of this genus all live in the Northwest and are predators that primarily eat stonefly nymphs Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019).
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on May 2, 2013May 2nd, 2013, 4:39 am EDT
Siphloplecton basale the spinners that "never fall"

Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on May 2, 2013May 2nd, 2013, 6:29 am EDT
Eric,

You didn't show me that 2nd pic there...the so-called Great Speckled Olive, but where's the olive? The Pseudo-Gray Drake...I told you that the local Grayling Boys (read Tim Neal here :), once they see this one, its hard to get them to tie something on smaller than a size 10, for the rest of the season! :)

Maybe Tim will add something here, but they have a rep for being showy in the mating swarm but not falling en masse. We all know that they have to come down, these bugs don't have the stored energy to fly around, and not get it done...The fish have only one problem with them, letting them float by unmolested. ;)

Seeing one coming downstream, early in the season, can get your heart pounding! At first you are not sure your eyes aren't playing tricks on you.

Great pics, BTW!!!
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Feathers5
Feathers5 on May 2, 2013May 2nd, 2013, 6:46 am EDT
C'Mon, real men nymph.
Crepuscular
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on May 2, 2013May 2nd, 2013, 7:04 am EDT
The fish have only one problem with them, letting them float by unmolested. ;)

many times they don't even have to be on the water for the fish to try and eat them, they leap into the air to try and catch one. They must taste much better than chicken.
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on May 2, 2013May 2nd, 2013, 7:05 am EDT
Very nice, Eric. Pin-up quality.
Crepuscular
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on May 2, 2013May 2nd, 2013, 7:09 am EDT
Very nice, Eric. Pin-up quality.

Thanks Paul, but I'm thinking I should get models with only two legs...
Feathers5
Feathers5 on May 2, 2013May 2nd, 2013, 7:24 am EDT
Eric,

You didn't show me that 2nd pic there...the so-called Great Speckled Olive, but where's the olive? The Pseudo-Gray Drake...I told you that the local Grayling Boys (read Tim Neal here :), once they see this one, its hard to get them to tie something on smaller than a size 10, for the rest of the season! :)

Maybe Tim will add something here, but they have a rep for being showy in the mating swarm but not falling en masse. We all know that they have to come down, these bugs don't have the stored energy to fly around, and not get it done...The fish have only one problem with them, letting them float by unmolested. ;)

Seeing one coming downstream, early in the season, can get your heart pounding! At first you are not sure your eyes aren't playing tricks on you.

Great pics, BTW!!!

Spence, real men nymph.
Bruce
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 2, 2013May 2nd, 2013, 7:39 am EDT
You guys are making me envious...I'm not seeing hardly any flies on my local waters yet! Not even Hendricksons or Early Brown Stones...

Jonathon

P.S. Beautiful photos!

P.P.S. "Real men nymph." Guess I'm not a real man, then. My nymphs just all seems to hang up on the bottom, so I don't...nymph, that is...
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply