Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Psychodidae True Fly Larva from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This wild-looking little thing completely puzzled me. At first I was thinking beetle or month larva, until I got a look at the pictures on the computer screen. I made a couple of incorrect guesses before entomologist Greg Courtney pointed me in the right direction with Psychodidae. He suggested a possible genus of Thornburghiella, but could not rule out some other members of the tribe Pericomini.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch has attached these 3 pictures. The message is below.
From the left down; most of row 2, all of row 3 & 4 and seven flies in row 5 have loop spun thoraxes.
From the top down; five flies in row #3 have loop spun thoraxes, the two flies on the left in row #4, the first five flies on the left of row #6, and the first three black stones ion the left in row #7. The other three have black Estaz thoraxes.  The legs of the first three of row #7 are black Krystal Flash.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 24, 2012April 24th, 2012, 6:49 pm EDT
Since I've never been able to solve the problem as to why the pics I UL to my posts show up only as thumbnail size I have to use this section to show my pics.

This pics are related to the thread about "the dubbing debate2: to spin or loop"

Many of the thoraxes on these nymphs was created with a dubbing loop.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Apr 24, 2012April 24th, 2012, 9:19 pm EDT
I like, Matt. Very nice!
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Apr 25, 2012April 25th, 2012, 5:58 am EDT
Good looking my man time to go wack'um an stack'um!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Apr 25, 2012April 25th, 2012, 7:11 am EDT
Awesome.
Orn

Orn on Apr 25, 2012April 25th, 2012, 11:49 am EDT
Fantastic looking nymphs, will definitely catch fish!
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 25, 2012April 25th, 2012, 3:06 pm EDT
Thanks guys! Jesse I might have pretty nymphs but I no longer nymph for trout, in the traditional sense. Where I fish in the East and when I go to MT in July, there is no need to ever consider nymphing. All those nymphs and about three other fly boxes were tied pretty much just for Great Lakes creeks and steelhead.

I do sometimes trail a little #18 BH on a piece of 5X about 6" long behind my dry in MT.

Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Apr 25, 2012April 25th, 2012, 3:19 pm EDT
These are wonderfully done.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 8, 2013January 8th, 2013, 3:17 pm EST
Some cool flies for winter tiers to consider.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Jan 10, 2013January 10th, 2013, 12:26 pm EST
Wbranch-

GREAT looking flies! This gives me inspiration to go back to the bench and improve my skills.

The Roguerat

I Peter 5:7 'Cast your cares upon Him...'
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 10, 2013January 10th, 2013, 1:05 pm EST
Roguerat,

"GREAT looking flies!"

Thank you Sir!

I started tying again on Monday. I reviewed all my Catskill & Montana boxes, well over 4,000 flies, and decided that other than a dozen caddis pupa and some PMD emergers I really don't need to tie any more flies. However I probably will tie another 200 or so by the end of March just to keep busy during the day.
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Jan 10, 2013January 10th, 2013, 1:15 pm EST
Wbranch-

I've only been tying small flies for 4 years now, before that I was 100% bass-bugs and Pike flies...Dahlberg Divers, Hair-poppers and all.

I figure my learning curve is still headed 'up' and your description of materials, techniques, and the close-up pics are a great tutorial.

The Roguerat

I Peter 5:7 'Cast your cares upon Him...'
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 10, 2013January 10th, 2013, 2:33 pm EST
Roguerat,

If you want any specifics about those flies, dubbing loop bodies, or most any fly tying question PM me and I'll try and answer it for you.
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Jan 15, 2013January 15th, 2013, 10:50 am EST
As always beautiful flies Matt!
I surprised some of your boxes haven't "accidentally" gotten mixed in with Louis' gear. ;)

JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 15, 2013January 15th, 2013, 2:52 pm EST
And this veiled accusation comes from a guy who still has my neoprene half finger gloves from last April. Hmmm.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 15, 2013January 15th, 2013, 3:47 pm EST
I've been sworn to secrecy.

Quick Reply