Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jtberez
Indiana, PA

Jtberez on Jun 22, 2011June 22nd, 2011, 1:50 am EDT
my girl and I were blessed with our daughter june 5th... it's been a hell of a year. her and mom are coming to watch me throw some flies today. A few pics from the hatches this year and some very healthy fingerlings

know you all are digging this:

hdr of next pic:

and lastly, yet another one of my close fly bums is now guiding in alaska... they love to rub it in sending me pics like this:

trico time or what?
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jun 22, 2011June 22nd, 2011, 7:37 am EDT
Congrats on the new addition to the family. That makes 3?

Hey that great head-on shot of the Macaffertia (sp?) would be great to compare the body form with the brown drake thread.

Jtberez
Indiana, PA

Jtberez on Jun 22, 2011June 22nd, 2011, 12:04 pm EDT
no sir... first child and thank you

photo can be used anywhere by anyone!
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jun 22, 2011June 22nd, 2011, 1:48 pm EDT
I meant 3 in the family -not children. That's us too -the 3 of us. :)
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jun 23, 2011June 23rd, 2011, 9:21 am EDT
Congratulations!

they love to rub it in sending me pics like this:

You aught to rub 'em back. They went all the way to Alaska to take photos of fiberglass fish? :)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Jun 23, 2011June 23rd, 2011, 7:56 pm EDT
Hahah all the way to Alaska for fiberglass fish ha, i love it! And the baby is beautiful along with the trout and flies. Great to hear and see the good news from all different aspects!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Jun 24, 2011June 24th, 2011, 1:11 pm EDT
Congrats on the little one! In no time at all she'll be whipping out wooly buggers for you.

I love the HDR. I think it really suits insects well as you don't get the surreal effect that sometimes crops up in landscape work.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn

Quick Reply