Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Clostoeca disjuncta (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one was surprisingly straightforward to identify. The lack of a sclerite at the base of the lateral hump narrows the field quite a bit, and the other options followed fairly obvious characteristics to Clostoeca, which only has one species, Clostoeca disjuncta.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123 has attached these 4 pictures. The message is below.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jun 11, 2011June 11th, 2011, 7:22 pm EDT
Today I did my first kayak-fishing trip of the year, and at a place I've never fished before to boot. I went to [REDACTED] Pond, the place where I had found the cute little fawn curled up in the grass a couple of weeks ago. I was hoping not to find any tourists, however there were three pickup trucks and a tent in the parking area. Nevertheless, I dragged the kayak down to the pond and discovered the only other fishermen there were on foot (with spinning gear), so I pretty much had the place to myself anyway. I inquired as to their success and they answered that they had none, and they asked me if it was all shallow or if it ever got any deeper. Well it did, and I began throwing a #10 brown-and-grizzly Woolly Bugger around and had a fish in the boat within 5 minutes! Did I just get lucky? Nope, they were hammering it all day long, and I ended up with a total of 10 brookies, the smallest of which was 8" and most were 10-12 inches long. Plus one nice fat 9-inch-plus yellow perch, the photo of which does not do it justice because of the perspective. All fish were released because the limit on brookies here is 15" (and one per day, and artificials only), and one perch does not a meal make (but if I catch any more that size, well, the freezer awaits!). I did have to change fly patterns once, as I lost both of my #10 brown Woollies and had to substitute a #10 olive/peacock/grizzly WB, which caught the perch and the last brookie of the day. Fish were rising too but I had so many hits on the Woollies I never felt it necessary to change...

The other guys' trucks were gone when I left shortly before dark, so I had no chance to tell them of my success where they failed. If they had asked, I would have said: 1) next time bring a canoe and 2) you might want to take up fly fishing. Too bad, they'll just have to figure it out for themselves...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Jun 12, 2011June 12th, 2011, 3:04 am EDT
Jonathon;

How did your fish your bugger in terms of presentation style? I'm not too experienced w/ still-water fly-fishing; did you let it sink to the bottom and retrieve slow/fast? Did you add weight to get it down or use sink tip line at all?

Thanks alot,

Adirman
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jun 12, 2011June 12th, 2011, 9:16 am EDT
Adirman, the fly is weighted with wire, non-toxic alternative to lead, in the underbody, and I added no additional weight. I fished them with a floating line, and began stripping the fly 4-6" at a time almost as soon as it hit the water. The fish were not deep (nor is the pond) as I saw quite a few of them rising. To be perfectly honest, I haven't done a lot of still-water fishing for trout myself, but I do have a lot of experience when it comes to warm stillwaters, so I just took my best guess. Seems like it worked! What they took them for I don't know, maybe dragonfly nymphs? Hard to tell with Woolly Buggers, maybe they just looked interesting...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on Jun 12, 2011June 12th, 2011, 1:21 pm EDT
Those are some nice brookies! I love pond fishing for brook trout. It's not something I get to do very often living in Missouri, but it's sure a lot of fun when I do get the chance. There's just nothing prettier than a nice, fat stillwater brookie.

Looks like you've found yourself a pretty nice pond too.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply