Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Zapada cinctipes (Nemouridae) (Tiny Winter Black) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Nymphs of this species were fairly common in late-winter kick net samples from the upper Yakima River. Although I could not find a key to species of Zapada nymphs, a revision of the Nemouridae family by Baumann (1975) includes the following helpful sentence: "2 cervical gills on each side of midline, 1 arising inside and 1 outside of lateral cervical sclerites, usually single and elongate, sometimes constricted but with 3 or 4 branches arising beyond gill base in Zapada cinctipes." This specimen clearly has the branches and is within the range of that species.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionUpper Peninsula of Michigan
Specific LocationA river somewhere...
Dates Fished07-05-12
Time of Day3-7
Fish CaughtBrook Trout
Conditions & Hatches87 Sunny. Slight breeze. Hatches... small caddis.

Details and Discussion

Pryal74
Pryal74's profile picture
Escanaba, MI

Pryal74 on Jul 11, 2012July 11th, 2012, 12:02 pm EDT

I took some little clips of a typical afternoon for Brook Trout. Only had a few hours before work, but did pretty well.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jul 11, 2012July 11th, 2012, 7:02 pm EDT
Brookies are the best!!! I just got back from some kayak/pond fishing for them myself this evening. Biggest one tonight was 10", but this pond has thrown me foot-plus brookies before. Fished a #12 tan elkhair caddis and then a #12 Royal Wulff, they tore both of them up...

Nice little video there, James! Sooner or later I will come visit you. Right now I am actually planning a trip to Isle Royale for Labor Day Weekend! Won't get to hit the brookie fishing there though, not enough time to reach those waters. I will be taking the 8-weight along for pike...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Jul 12, 2012July 12th, 2012, 3:07 am EDT
Wow that was nice! Didn't see much of a trail on your way in; do you use a GPS or do you just "know the way"?
Pryal74
Pryal74's profile picture
Escanaba, MI

Pryal74 on Jul 12, 2012July 12th, 2012, 10:41 am EDT
@ Jonathon... I love EHC for Brookies. That's the pond you were talking about before I'm sure.

A trip up here would be worth it. Isle Royale is gorgeous. I hope you have a good time. What kind of streamers are you planning on using for those "alligators?"

@ Adirman... I have been fishing that river since I was 7. It's a REALLY long hike on some 2 track roads, then it's all poplar forest to the river. I can fish it in many different areas and I know the way by heart.

I actually caught a 14" (in the video) and one 12" and a few others around 10 or 11" not in the video. I was in the mood to film some stuff. When I got home I realized I might be able to put enough together for a short clip.

I'm no Spielberg or anything, but it's ok.
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Jul 12, 2012July 12th, 2012, 1:34 pm EDT
No, its awesome!! Thanks very much for providing to the rest of us as we can vicariously enjoy your experience!!
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Jul 13, 2012July 13th, 2012, 7:30 pm EDT
What a wonderful way to spend an afternoon!

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Trowingflys
Trowingflys's profile picture
hillsdale, mi

Trowingflys on Dec 7, 2012December 7th, 2012, 9:50 am EST
great vide! this also sounds like eddie veddar in the background so nice touch. Favorite vocalist of all time.
Jaf
statecollege Pa.

Jaf on Dec 11, 2012December 11th, 2012, 12:54 pm EST
Nice video, and a great way to spend an afternoon I agree. Watching that really makes you want to get out and feel the pull. Man I love it !!

Quick Reply