Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

FredH
FredH's profile picture
Lake Charles , Louisiana

FredH on Jan 2, 2011January 2nd, 2011, 10:31 am EST
Damselfly nymph
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 3, 2011January 3rd, 2011, 4:06 am EST
Very well tied, you have a lot of patience!
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
FredH
FredH's profile picture
Lake Charles , Louisiana

FredH on Jan 3, 2011January 3rd, 2011, 10:50 am EST
Thanks Wbranch . Now if I could just find a way to make get jiggy like the live one does , then we'd have something.
Fred
Gutcutter
Gutcutter's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Gutcutter on Jan 4, 2011January 4th, 2011, 4:34 am EST
beautiful
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jan 4, 2011January 4th, 2011, 5:26 am EST
Pretty darned realistic if you ask me. You should put that one in a vial of alcohol and see how many entomologists you can fool!!

;oD

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
FredH
FredH's profile picture
Lake Charles , Louisiana

FredH on Jan 4, 2011January 4th, 2011, 7:57 am EST
Thanks Guys . Jonathan if it just fools a fish or two , it will be good enough for me.
Fred
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jan 5, 2011January 5th, 2011, 2:35 pm EST
I did a nice olive damselfly nymph once (yeah, only one - I need to recreate it in multiples some day) on a streamer hook with a few strands of olive marabou for the tail/gills, olive floss body with thin silver wire for segmentation, olive hackle tied flat/splayed for legs, and burnt black mono eyes. It looked pretty good and I even think I caught a few fish on it (though I think they were warmwater species, but hey, they're found everywhere). Yours should be pretty deadly, especially with those realistic legs...go get 'em!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
FredH
FredH's profile picture
Lake Charles , Louisiana

FredH on Jan 6, 2011January 6th, 2011, 11:34 am EST
Thanks Jonathon I'd like to see yours when you get some more tied.
Fred

Quick Reply