Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Grammotaulius betteni (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This is a striking caddis larva with an interesting color pattern on the head. Here are some characteristics I was able to see under the microscope, but could not easily expose for a picture:
- The prosternal horn is present.
- The mandible is clearly toothed, not formed into a uniform scraper blade.
- The seems to be only 2 major setae on the ventral edge of the hind femur.
- Chloride epithelia seem to be absent from the dorsal side of any abdominal segments.
Based on these characteristics and the ones more easily visible from the pictures, this seems to be Grammotaulius. The key's description of the case is spot-on: "Case cylindrical, made of longitudinally arranged sedge or similar leaves," as is the description of the markings on the head, "Dorsum of head light brownish yellow with numerous discrete, small, dark spots." The spot pattern on the head is a very good match to figure 19.312 of Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019). The species ID is based on Grammotaulius betteni being the only species of this genus known in Washington state.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Gutcutter has attached these 6 pictures. The message is below.
Which fly do i need?
So many to choose from
Do i pick a male or female?
Ok that is a fish caught on my last cast.  i'm done.  gotta be home at eleven and it's already noon
O.k. that one was still rising so i had to catch one on my last cast with bamboo - hell it's only 12:30.  she'll understand.
Allright shawn. what the hell is the difference between 12:30 and 1:30 anyways?  she'll understand.  right? and that one was still rising so i just had to get one on a tiny olive...
Gutcutter
Gutcutter's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Gutcutter on Aug 21, 2010August 21st, 2010, 3:42 pm EDT
i told you that bruce was a lousy photographer!
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Aug 21, 2010August 21st, 2010, 4:15 pm EDT
Nice story, Tony. At least the first few pics (yours, I presume) were good. Come to think of it, what exactly did Bruce do other than take those lousy photos? About as much as I did, I guess. Do you count a little heckling from the sidelines as participation?

One last question, and then I'm done: Where's the pic of the one that was still rising when we left? That's the one I really wanted to see.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Aug 21, 2010August 21st, 2010, 4:32 pm EDT
Tony,

That's a nice, neat, box of bugs there...It looks like anyone of them will work. I like the photo of the egg layer. That camera can take some nice close ups!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Gutcutter
Gutcutter's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Gutcutter on Aug 21, 2010August 21st, 2010, 4:48 pm EDT
shawn
why do you think i didn't cast to her? i try to end each outing with a fish on my last cast. i won't say that she is impossible to catch from that spot, but...you know that if i post a picture of that giant rainbow that we stared at for some 20 minutes and from where it was rising - that slow eddie adjacent to the faster current seam it would drive me (and you) nuts. or is that troutnuts?
let me know if you get her.
i've become haunted by that fish and with thoughts such as: what position to cast at her from and how to keep the fly from dragging long enough for her to eat it. and you know she will eat. she is in a spot so challenging that anything that goes in there and doesn't drag will be eaten.
when i get back there in a few weeks we'll attack her together
tony
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Aug 22, 2010August 22nd, 2010, 2:50 am EDT
Shawnny & Gutcutter: I'm beginning to get a bit pissed. Shawnny, I stopped fishing when you came to be polite and discuss the topics of the day with you. Tony, As far as my photography goes it's hard to take pictures of fish that are flopping around in the subjects hands. Those fish were overpowering a man--hard to believe. I will NOT stop fishing anymore to be social. I will NOT stop fishing to take photos of a fish unless it's my own. I...will fish to the risers next time.
Bruce
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Aug 22, 2010August 22nd, 2010, 5:57 am EDT
But you have to admit, Bruce - it was fun to sit in the cheap seats and watch the fish taunt Tony.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Aug 22, 2010August 22nd, 2010, 10:11 am EDT
yep! i had fun.

Quick Reply