Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Sweltsa (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This species was fairly abundant in a February sample of the upper Yakima.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Johnnymunoz
nevrsink

Johnnymunoz on Mar 22, 2010March 22nd, 2010, 2:50 pm EDT
Ok I was out checking out some of my honey holes, and checking ice/thaw situations up above beaverkill valley, and I found a place with a little sign with a name and a fly on it, Quill Gordon. ?Now I know that he is a Huge name out west, So I googled the area, and I found a Quill Gordon Lodge, but that was a lot closer to the valley and not out past hardenburg, really close to the monestary... any one have any information about this place? Or if there is any affiliation to the other fly fishing club on the river.... absolutely breath-taking views and rivers... unfortunately all posted. but intriguing...
fishermen, we are called to be fishermen.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 22, 2010March 22nd, 2010, 5:23 pm EDT
Johnny,

"Quill Gordon" is a "huge" name out West only because it is the name of a fly shop, and lodge, on the Big Horn River in Fort Smith, Montana.

The most frequent usage of those two words are to describe, and discuss, an early season mayfly named after Theodore Gordon who fished the Catskill rivers, primarily the Neversink, back in the late 1890's and is considered by most fly fishing authrorities to be "the father of American dry fly fishing". Google "Epeorus pleuralis" and you should get lots of information on this mayfly. Also see if you can read a copy of Art Flick's "New Streamside Guide" Chapter 5 as it addresses this fly in detail.

If I'm not mistaken I think there is also a private fly fishing club on the upper Beaverkill named "Quill Gordan Fly Fishers". It is a very exclusive club and membership is extremely difficult to attain.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply