Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Case view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
It's only barely visible in one of my pictures, but I confirmed under the microscope that this one has a prosternal horn and the antennae are mid-way between the eyes and front of the head capsule.

I'm calling this one Pycnopsyche, but it's a bit perplexing. It seems to key definitively to at least Couplet 8 of the Key to Genera of Limnephilidae Larvae. That narrows it down to three genera, and the case seems wrong for the other two. The case looks right for Pycnopsyche, and it fits one of the key characteristics: "Abdominal sternum II without chloride epithelium and abdominal segment IX with only single seta on each side of dorsal sclerite." However, the characteristic "metanotal sa1 sclerites not fused, although often contiguous" does not seem to fit well. Those sclerites sure look fused to me, although I can make out a thin groove in the touching halves in the anterior half under the microscope. Perhaps this is a regional variation.

The only species of Pycnopsyche documented in Washington state is Pycnopsyche guttifera, and the colors and markings around the head of this specimen seem to match very well a specimen of that species from Massachusetts on Bugguide. So I am placing it in that species for now.

Whatever species this is, I photographed another specimen of seemingly the same species from the same spot a couple months later.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Chorn5848
Rockton, PA

Chorn5848 on Mar 9, 2010March 9th, 2010, 2:37 pm EST
Hello,
Im new here so I want to say hi to everyone! Im heading to New York May 1st-9th to hopefully hit the Hendrickson. Just wondering if anybody had any tips on what patterns i should have in my box for that week?
Tie it don't buy it!!!
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Mar 9, 2010March 9th, 2010, 2:43 pm EST
There is a forum dedicated to the Catskills and the old Catskill fly patterns and fly tiers...

http://www.sparsegreymatter.com/index.php
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Mar 9, 2010March 9th, 2010, 2:51 pm EST
Hi,
Hendrickson's are a good bet, also some Baetis as well as some caddis and early stonefly imitations.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 9, 2010March 9th, 2010, 9:57 pm EST
"Im heading to New York May 1st-9th to hopefully hit the Hendrickson."

Depending on air and water temperatures, and where you are going to fish, the Hendrickson could be over on the Delaware, Lower West and East Branch, and lower Beaverkill River. In 2009 the first day I fished the West Branch was April 27 and there was only a small amount of Hendrickson duns. There were spinners the next few days but no more duns. In my experience if you go to the upper ends of the West and East branches you might still locate Hendrickson at that time. If they aren't around you'll likely find zillions of Apple Caddis and still good numbers of Paraleps.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Chorn5848
Rockton, PA

Chorn5848 on Mar 10, 2010March 10th, 2010, 7:29 am EST
Im going to be fishing mainly the lowwer "kill" and possibly the willowemoc. Ive been there before but it was the last week of may. Talked to the guy at Catskill Flies in Roscoe and he said that I should go up the first week in may for the Hendrickson but he could be blowing smoke.
Tie it don't buy it!!!
Patcrisci
Lagrangeville, NY

Patcrisci on Mar 10, 2010March 10th, 2010, 7:49 am EST
Be prepared for Hendricksons (sizes 12-16), Baetis (14-18) and Apple Caddis (14-16)... you never know for sure but these are likely to be hatching. I like emergers sparkle dun and comparadun patterns for the mayflies and for the caddis i like to fish a woodchuck, elk or deerhair winged fly dry. Swinging soft hackle wet flies during caddis activity is deadly too. Partridge and green especially. I also tie and fish a bright green floss bodied caddis with a dark brown squirrel fur & hair thorax & head. This is a good week to go and you should get into some fish unless the weather turns freaky.
Pat Crisci
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 10, 2010March 10th, 2010, 11:12 pm EST
"Talked to the guy at Catskill Flies in Roscoe and he said that I should go up the first week in may for the Hendrickson but he could be blowing smoke."

He is a good guy and wouldn't intentionally steer you wrong. BTW he runs a good fly fishing site that primarily discusses the Catskill rivers. Like I said in my response your success in finding Hendrickson's is dependent on air and water temperatures as well as water levels. I think you will find bugs and rising fish - just remember that the Hendricksons seldom emerge before noon unless it is an unseasonably warm day. Also be prepared to move around from one section of the river to another or to an entirely different river like the East Branch from Downsville to Shinopple.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Chorn5848
Rockton, PA

Chorn5848 on Mar 11, 2010March 11th, 2010, 3:03 am EST
I sure hope i can find some Hendricksons somewhere but I'll be prepared for whatever the weather might throw at me. Just got done tying up some Apple Caddis' and emergers. Got lots of Blue Quills and BWO's. Any other Suggestions? What is the name of his website? I'd like to check it out and see what else i can learn. Can never know too much!
Tie it don't buy it!!!
Patcrisci
Lagrangeville, NY

Patcrisci on Mar 20, 2010March 20th, 2010, 9:53 am EDT
This site http://www.catskillflies.com/stream.html has daily updates on the most popular Catskill streams. Good luck.
Pat Crisci

Quick Reply