Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Feb 13, 2010February 13th, 2010, 3:32 pm EST
I'll make my best effort to attend. Anyone know if anything is hatching around then?

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Feb 14, 2010February 14th, 2010, 2:01 am EST
Shawn,
I believe a tthat time of year the Lil J is an insect wasteland with nothing to be found, especially little yellow mayflies or tannish caddis. Nope nothing at all hatching around then. ;)
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Feb 14, 2010February 14th, 2010, 4:59 am EST
That's kind of what I figured. I'd better pack my snagging rig, maybe try to tail-hook a few suckers.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Cdcaddis18
Huntington, PA

Cdcaddis18 on Feb 14, 2010February 14th, 2010, 5:17 am EST
Maybe late May will be a good time to fish the LJ with my centerpin rod, float, and waxworms. Since there aren't many bugs around then I won't have to be bothered by all the fly guys and can get those nice 150' floats - and fill my creel too!
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Feb 14, 2010February 14th, 2010, 7:21 am EST
Best Fishing Buddy and i will be there. how do we go about booking those dandy cicadas from a couple years ago for a guest appearance?
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Gutcutter
Gutcutter's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Gutcutter on Feb 14, 2010February 14th, 2010, 2:24 pm EST
hey there fellas - i'll try to be there that weekend, too. i have a few M-80's left over from new year's eve. nothin' like droppin' one in a glass calm pool and nettin' what floats up. don't even need that zebco i usually bring when the game warden is 'round.
gut
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Keystoner
Keystoner's profile picture
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

Keystoner on Feb 15, 2010February 15th, 2010, 7:56 am EST
I too shall pencil the above mentioned dates. Although not sure on what location you guys have in mind. Your gonna have to fill me in.
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Feb 16, 2010February 16th, 2010, 11:01 am EST
i'm down for an education......hopefully life won't get in the way!
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 16, 2010February 16th, 2010, 4:07 pm EST
Great Jeff. If we all can't fish together (and it may be impossible to find a pool big enough) we can surely get a long table that evening and drink beer and tell lies about all the big fish we broke off. --Louis
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Feb 17, 2010February 17th, 2010, 8:40 am EST
Louis,
With the size of the crew we have saying yes at this point we could likely take over a section of river if we chose to given our elitist attitudes.
That being said I am always up for searching out new water on a familiar river.

And just incase I haven't officially RSVP'd I'm in. If possible I'll try to snag a tent sight at the Church Camp.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Keystoner

Keystoner on Feb 17, 2010February 17th, 2010, 12:16 pm EST
Hey!! I thought we were supposed to be getting over our elitist attitudes. Oh, I am so confused!!
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 2, 2010March 2nd, 2010, 10:03 am EST
Casey sent me a PM about where we would be getting together and some of the logistic stuff like parking etc. I was wondering how many are committed to getting together for the Fly Fling the weekend of May 22 - 23?

I'm probably going to arrive a day earlier so I can scout out the river and do some exploring. I told Casey I'd leave it up to her to decide where to meet as I know virtually nothing about the area.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture

CaseyP on Mar 2, 2010March 2nd, 2010, 2:09 pm EST
well, to be honest, Casey stopped herding cats long ago! there are folks on here who were fishing that river when she didn't know that the flies were made of feathers, not hymenoptera persuaded to stand still on the hook. so wherever is fine by her.

if there is a need to book some space at the campground for parking, maybe someone knows about how to do that. and how to get 23 guys into a neighborhood bar and grill? and where to fish? 23 opinions coming right up!

she'll bring the cookies...:-) and dream of spring until then.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 3, 2010March 3rd, 2010, 8:27 am EST
OK, I'll take a stab at this. I don't know now whether or not I'll make it. I plan trips more on a spur of the moment basis due to the fact that I have two teenage daughters who often need me around for various shuttling, etc. But I'm going to try. I'd say let folks fish where they want, as getting everyone together on one stretch of water sounds impossible in terms of logistics, but book some space at either the City Cafe or Paisano's for dinner and we can all meet and tell lies until they throw us out. How does that sound? Alternatively, some (or all) could get together for breakfast and/or lunch, then possibly later for dinner if they wished.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Keystoner

Keystoner on Mar 6, 2010March 6th, 2010, 9:55 am EST
As I've said before. I'm definatly in.

Just waiting for some more specific info on where the meet up will take place. Town name, etc.

I'll keep watching the post...
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture

CaseyP on Apr 17, 2010April 17th, 2010, 2:22 am EDT
so May 22-3 is actually looming on the horizon. if anyone is still interested in fishing with a bunch of virtual/actual friends, please PM me. the scout leader in me says we need some firmer plans, if only so we wind up at the same watering hole in the end.
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture

CaseyP on May 6, 2010May 6th, 2010, 6:51 am EDT
please send a pm if you think you want to fish May 22. a place to meet to find out about the river, and a place to enjoy some beer and fellowship afterwards have been settled. this is a very informal group, so if you can't make it after all, we won't be upset. there might be yellow bugs, amongst others.

http://www.littlejuniata.org/index.php

Quick Reply