Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 3, 2010February 3rd, 2010, 12:22 pm EST
"if you can get past the elitist attitude."

Ain't that the truth!
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Keystoner
Keystoner's profile picture
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

Keystoner on Feb 3, 2010February 3rd, 2010, 12:52 pm EST
OOPS, I knew that crack was gonna get me in trouble. All in good fun.
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 3, 2010February 3rd, 2010, 2:08 pm EST
Keystoner,

I was just being a wiseacre and would never want to suggest that any fly fisher might be an elitist. HEHEHE at least no one at Troutnut.com that is.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 4, 2010February 4th, 2010, 1:23 am EST
Hi Keystoner,

I fish the Lil' Lehigh during Trico season from time to time. Perhaps we can meet there next season.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Feb 4, 2010February 4th, 2010, 7:04 am EST
Keystoner - My dad is a baitfisherman, and we get into good-natured ribbing routinely. I hope you saw the irony in my statement - I was pretty pleased with myself for coming up with it.

If you are inclined to accept assistance, take Louis up on his offer. He's a very good fisherman and you could learn a great deal from him. He also has a really cool accent.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Keystoner

Keystoner on Feb 4, 2010February 4th, 2010, 7:26 am EST
Like I said, All in good fun. I still hang with my bait fisherman friends. I strut around poo poo-ing powerbait, and they call me a pompous ass. It's great.

And yes, not only am I accepting of assistance, I crave it. I've picked up pretty much just from watching and reading, and more importantly, doing. But, there is much that I am foggy on.

So if Louis is "Martinlf" then by all means, invitation accepted!
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
Flatstick96
Flatstick96's profile picture
Flatstick96 on Feb 5, 2010February 5th, 2010, 7:53 am EST
Louis is indeed "Martinlf".

And I concur with Shawnny - spend a day on the stream with Louis and you'll be a better fisherman for it.
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Feb 5, 2010February 5th, 2010, 8:36 am EST
Keystoner,
Have Louis show you the "other trico stream" he fishes. Definatly a great day on the water with the good Dr. Martin.

Louis,
You know the stream I mean!
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Keystoner

Keystoner on Feb 6, 2010February 6th, 2010, 6:41 am EST
Cool deal. I hope it works out.

As I'm typing this, there is a foot of snow on the ground and the wind is rattleing my windows. To say that I am ready for April would be the understatement of year.

I really look forward to meeting some of you, and benefiting from your experience!
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 6, 2010February 6th, 2010, 12:18 pm EST
Keystoner, the Little Lehigh fishes well during the winter. Try tiny midges or scuds in the Heritage water, especially up near the outflow from the hatchery. Or glow bugs. Tight lines.

--Fred Chappell
Mcjames
Cortland Manor, NY

Mcjames on Feb 8, 2010February 8th, 2010, 8:04 am EST
I am former keystoner, transplanted to westchester Co NY. Still have family and friends in Phila suburbs but its been a long time since I was west of the Lehigh river
I am haunted by waters
Keystoner

Keystoner on Feb 8, 2010February 8th, 2010, 8:08 am EST
Thanks for the tip(s). I will definatley give them a try!!

I have mostly been fishing nymphs, any thoughts?

Mostly I just HATE being cold. So it can get to be a drag when your out there trying to learn. Everything becomes frustrating about twice as fast. Trying to learn casting while your guides are being jammed with ice, and your fingers are cussing you out. Then, just as things seem to be dialing in, an icy gust puts your line into a tree, bushes, etc. But that's just me. Of course, I still go. I'm a firm believer that it really is "good just to get out there."

I do enjoy the fact that the winter months offer a lot of solitude. It's easy to have just about any spot all to yourself!!

Thanks again for the (continuing) help.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 8, 2010February 8th, 2010, 8:45 am EST
Keystoner,

"Mostly I just HATE being cold. So it can get to be a drag when your out there trying to learn."

It's really great that you are so excited about learning to fly fish. However it is really going to be frustrating, and not nearly as much fun, to try and learn now. Just keep the excitement level up and go get some books at Borders or some other bookstore and get back out in early April.
Keystoner

Keystoner on Feb 9, 2010February 9th, 2010, 7:33 am EST
Done and done. I'm currently reading two different books, along with being addicted to the mags.

Dosen't matter. Cold and frustrating as it may be. I HAVE to get out there!
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 9, 2010February 9th, 2010, 11:57 am EST
Keystoner,

Your zeal to learn fly fishing reminds me of myself a lifetime ago. PM me if you want to go fishing with me sometime this year. I might be able to give you a few casting tips as well as other helpul info. Has to be during the week though.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Feb 10, 2010February 10th, 2010, 2:38 am EST
Keystoner,

Now there's a generous offer! Matt...one of our resident "river-gods" is offering to take you fishing! You want to pass up "Fly-Fishing 101"...Take him up on it.

My mentor used to call me up during the winter when he knew I was watching Hockey Night in Canada and would growl at me through the phone, "Spence. You better be practising your knots! I'm not tying anything on for you come spring!"

Way to pass it on Matt!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Keystoner

Keystoner on Feb 10, 2010February 10th, 2010, 5:17 am EST
Cool deal. I look forward to it!

As far as the week day thing... ...I'll call off.

Like the bumper sticker says, "Work is for people who don't fish."
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 12, 2010February 12th, 2010, 11:49 pm EST
Since I initiated the discussion about getting together in May to meet and fish together I thought I would suggest the date. I was thinking of the weekend of May 22 & 23. It's usually impossible to find the "perfect" time frame to get a bunch of people together so there will likely be some who can't make it but that is a good period for me.
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 13, 2010February 13th, 2010, 3:49 am EST
Matt, I'll pencil it in and see how things look closer to the date. --Louis

--Fred Chappell
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Feb 13, 2010February 13th, 2010, 4:20 am EST
Same as Louis

JAD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,

Quick Reply