Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Setvena wahkeena (Perlodidae) (Wahkeena Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
As far as I can tell, this species has only previously been reported from one site in Oregon along the Columbia gorge. However, the key characteristics are fairly unmistakable in all except for one minor detail:
— 4 small yellow spots on frons visible in photos
— Narrow occipital spinule row curves forward (but doesn’t quite meet on stem of ecdysial suture, as it's supposed to in this species)
— Short spinules on anterior margin of front legs
— Short rposterior row of blunt spinules on abdominal tergae, rather than elongated spinules dorsally
I caught several of these mature nymphs in the fishless, tiny headwaters of a creek high in the Wenatchee Mountains.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Dec 17, 2009December 17th, 2009, 5:11 pm EST
ha ha ha i will post all the haiku i want any time any where and you cant stop me and if you try you liberal scumbag i will have THOUSANDS of japanese people writing haiku on this site and we will over load it and then youll be sorry just you wait nobody tells me what to do ha ha ha

Jonathon, channelling a certain 7 - no, make that 5-year-old
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Dec 17, 2009December 17th, 2009, 5:26 pm EST
There once was a fellow named Jason,
The trout of Alaska he was a chasin',
He said one day "Hey you!
I said on this site no haiku!
And now it's a BAN you are facin'!"

So this Jonathon fellow says, "Hey!"
What have you against haiku anyway?
I do not understand
Why you consider it banned
And I don't even get a say!"

To which Jason replied, "Hey Jon,
This is my site you are on!
I don't have to explain
Why it is you must refrain,
And that is why all haiku is GONE!"

"My dear Jason I must protest,
If not haiku, then why all the rest?
You may be partial to limericks,
And I know this is how you get your kicks,
But why haiku do you so DETEST?"

"I've heard enough from you Jon!"
He said the next time he was on.
"I happen to own this site,
And it is well within my right,
To say now it is YOU that is GONE!!!"

:oD
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Dec 18, 2009December 18th, 2009, 11:59 am EST
Cool Jonathon, you're providing lots of cover for my above offense. Oops, did I reveal myself as an out of the closet haiku poster? Well, with enough civil disobedience perhaps we'll get the laws changed in time.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Dec 18, 2009December 18th, 2009, 1:12 pm EST
Louis, how about if I create a second user name that's somewhat more obscure than my intials, then serruptitiously (did I spell that right?) post random haiku on the site? Think we can sneak a few in under Big Brother's nose?

Jonathon
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Dec 18, 2009December 18th, 2009, 2:16 pm EST
Oh, you are bad, Jon.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Dec 18, 2009December 18th, 2009, 2:46 pm EST
I told you, I did it in a trout stream! Defiled the sacred waters!! Unfortunately, I couldn't get her to do it again with me - she said something about seeing the traffic crossing the bridge slowing down the first time...

Jonathon

P.S. I should write a limerick about that incident for Jason's benefit (and to keep him distracted - shhhhh).

Quick Reply