Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Kogotus (Perlodidae) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
This one pretty clearly keys to Kogotus, but it also looks fairly different from specimens I caught in the same creek about a month later in the year. With only one species of the genus known in Washington, I'm not sure about the answer to this ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Dec 15, 2009December 15th, 2009, 7:04 am EST
we're not doing well discussing politics around here, and we all share the same religion--trout fishing--and Jason still won't allow haiku, so that leaves sex as a topic.

herewith my contribution to the music of the spheres...

Something Else to Discuss
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Dec 15, 2009December 15th, 2009, 7:46 am EST
HE HE HE HE HE...

CaseyP, I think it would not be much of an exaggeration to say that the two most favorite pasttimes of the posters on this site ARE fly fishing and sex, not necessarily in that order...POST AWAY!!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Dec 15, 2009December 15th, 2009, 8:02 am EST
Casey & Jon...

When we fishing the Truckee??? I'm tying up some gaudy fancy flies now! Attractors if you know what I mean!

Once I got caught fishing after dark when I forgot what time it really was and called home to see if my OnStar really would work in the middle of nowhere...When my wife asked if I was fishing after dark again I knew I had screwed up...You guys make sure I don't do it again and call her from the Mustang Ranch...

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Chris_3g
Chris_3g on Dec 15, 2009December 15th, 2009, 8:07 am EST
CaseyP,

Ah good: humor still abounds. I was beginning to wonder with all of this post-ban Trtklr nonsense.

Anyway, this isn't related to sex ... or it had better not be. It is related to river conservation, indirectly: Carp to the Rescue.

So, the idea of introducing a non-native species to fix a problem caused by a non-native species seems like a bad idea to me, but I'm not a biologist. I get that the carp are sterile and whatnot, but I have a hard time believing it's a win-win-win. It seems to me that in situations like this, we'll keep chasing our tail until nothing is native anymore. ... or is that just the natural order of things?

I welcome anyone who knows more to comment, and I know there are at least a few bio. guys and / or gals on here.

Chris.
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Dec 15, 2009December 15th, 2009, 8:12 am EST
Thanks Casey,
The article brought back fond memories. No, I’m not speaking of the Mustang Ranch, but the Truckee River. At a much younger age (the early nineteen sixties) I spent a summer in Reno, and fished the Truckee. As I recall it was full of trout. I may have to head out that way again, and if I do I’ll visit that Mustang Ranch. Now that I’m older maybe I can test the stallion in me. Heeeeeee….

P.S. Thanks again for the redirect, I hope it takes hold.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Dec 15, 2009December 15th, 2009, 8:26 am EST
Spence, start tying! I know some others who will be ready to join us.

My favorite quotation from the article: "Legalized prostitution, as it turns out, has made this parcel particularly promising to conservationists because it essentially kept development at bay, improving the chances of restoring the flora and fauna."

So, there are multiple blessings in the making, or, as Confucius say,

Mustang river gals
Save beds for fish and flesh--
Benefits to come.

"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Dec 15, 2009December 15th, 2009, 9:02 am EST
Ladies and gentlemen Mr. Louis has chimed in...No sooner had Casey stopped typing and bam! There he was...We are driving right down his alley now...Maybe we shouldn't encourge him...He, he!

Spence

What's that old blues tune???

The Red Rooster (read Louis Martin)

I have a little red rooster, too lazy to crow for day
I have a little red rooster, too lazy to crow for day
Keep everything in the barnyard, upset in every way

Oh the dogs begin to bark,
and the hound begin to howl
Oh the dogs begin to bark, hound begin to howl
Ooh watch out strange kind people,
Cause little red rooster is on the prowl

If you see my little red rooster, please drag him home
If you see my little red rooster, please drag him home
There ain't no peace in the barnyard,
Since the little red rooster been gone

Willie Dixon

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Dec 15, 2009December 15th, 2009, 9:13 am EST

Oh, what a perfect blend, should the Truckee be restored to its rightful owner, Mother Nature replete with colored fish, and the Mustang Ranch watching over her shoulder.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Dec 15, 2009December 15th, 2009, 9:29 am EST
Allan,

I just figured out our angle...You and I offer free casting lessons to the cuties...Hey baby! Let me help you work on your double-haul...Yeah...This thing here's known as a perfection loop...Ok...Ok...Enough already...

We bad!

Spence

Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Dec 15, 2009December 15th, 2009, 4:59 pm EST
Hey, I've been tying up a whole bunch of gaudy steelhead flies. And I'm already SICK of winter! When are we going, guys??

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Dec 15, 2009December 15th, 2009, 6:07 pm EST
OK, you want to talk about sex and fly fishing. Here's a challenge to you all:

Who amongst you has ever had SEX in a trout stream? Hmmm?

(About now, Jason is thinking: "GEEEZ, this Jonathon guy is OUT OF CONTROL and I'm going to have to BAN HIM TOO!!!!)

Yes, of course I have, in August of 1988 in the Maple River. Summer #5 at the University of Michigan Biological Station, where I met my (now ex-) wife. It went up to the upper 90s for about two weeks in a row, Douglas Lake got warm and soupy with an algae bloom (yuck) and the only way I could think to cool off was to go to a trout stream - the Maple River. So off we go for a cool dip, and then next thing I know I hear, "Yoo hoo!" and my future wife is holding her swimsuit in her hand, twirling it around in a rather suggestive manner. (Wonder why I ended up marrying her...) So, what was I supposed to do, turn down a 22-year-old naked woman in a trout stream???

Didn't we just have a thread about the most amazing thing ever seen while fishing? Does this count???

Alright, gentlemen, I challenge you to top THAT!!!!! :oD

Jonathon

P.S. Still looking for a repeat offender...maybe she'll teach me about WET FLIES.
Tilman
Gemany

Tilman on Dec 15, 2009December 15th, 2009, 7:53 pm EST
Hmmmhh, i don´t want to go into detail about the "Sex and the River" topic here, i just wanted to add a not so well known fact about grass carp, without wanting to spoil your hopes about their good side ...

I had grass carp in my garden pond and we have frogs and toads visiting us every year.

When the tadpoles were swimming around, guess who was not so fond of the plants anymore. Right, the grass carp had changed their food plan ...
Grass carp will feed on really anything like most fish will do, as long as it is nourishing. That will be anything from fish-eggs to snails and i have heard that they will not say "No" to little fish, either.

Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Dec 16, 2009December 16th, 2009, 1:46 am EST
Jon,

Seems your ex wasn't a bad angler...You rose to her presentation...Just like an unsuspecting Cut to a hooper pattern on Slough Creek. Bam! He's mine...Fooled ya!

My experience with the Frauen and the stream hasn't been as fun unfortunately. My first wife thought of herself as Ms Outdoors...She had hiked in Algonquin in Canada as a younger woman and felt she was the master of the canoe. I have a photo of us on the Pine River in the mid 70's and I'm sitting up on the bow of the canoe with my feet dangling playfully in the river...Ever the satyr. I must of been my smart-ass self because in her photo she's sitting in the rear of the canoe, paddle laying across her lap, and she's giving me the finger...

Love...You can't beat it, eh?!

I've posted the second wife's fun canoe trip here somehwere when she blasted us in to some sweepers breaking off the tip of my Loomis IMX 5Wt...

Spence avoids mixing rivers and the fairer sex...Maybe it was the canoe...Maybe...Dare I say it...It was Spence???

Tilman...As soon as I saw the post about the Carp I thought of you. I was going to send you a note to ask you what kind of flies those Florida folk should be tying up. I was thinking a Sea-Weed Fly, but now you have told us, what we already suspected, they will eat anything! One day Carp will rule the world...Us humans will have shot it to hell, but the lowly carp will prevail..."The meek shall inherit the earth."...

(Please Spence...Don't go there!)

Spence

Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Dec 16, 2009December 16th, 2009, 3:53 am EST
and Jason still won't allow haiku, so that leaves sex as a topic.

Nonsense! The haiku rule doesn't limit topics of discussion -- you can write limericks about anything!

First person to come up with a good limerick about Ephemerella septentrionalis wins some serious bragging rights...
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Chris_3g
Chris_3g on Dec 16, 2009December 16th, 2009, 4:44 am EST
On the stream rode an Ephemerella septentrionalis
It’s behavior was decidedly anonymous
But things as they are,
It didn’t go far,
And got swallowed by a Salvelinus fontinalis
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Dec 16, 2009December 16th, 2009, 5:30 am EST
Chris,

Way to rise to a challenge man! Wonderful.

Spence

Tilman
Gemany

Tilman on Dec 16, 2009December 16th, 2009, 5:34 am EST
Tilman...As soon as I saw the post about the Carp I thought of you. I was going to send you a note to ask you what kind of flies those Florida folk should be tying up. I was thinking a Sea-Weed Fly, but now you have told us, what we already suspected, they will eat anything! One day Carp will rule the world...Us humans will have shot it to hell, but the lowly carp will prevail..."The meek shall inherit the earth."...

This one link is about grass carp and i haven´t tried fishing for them with a fly (yet), because there are not many grasscarp in the waters i fish.

When they swim right beneath the surface, as they do in lakes in the summer, you can try feeding them with bread and then use a dear hair "thingy" in a light brown (bread) colour.

(there was a youtube video, where a swedish guy fished for grasscarp with the fyl but i could not dig it up right now)

You could name a drink after that thread, here. Not "Sex on the beach", but "Sex on the bank", maybe ... And there could be an interesting television series, not "Sex and the City", but "Sex and the River" ... All in all, fishing is still very sexy !

Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Dec 16, 2009December 16th, 2009, 7:50 am EST
Spence, my ex actually wasn't a half-bad angler herself - besides me, she did catch a few decent fish, both trout and bass. I can proudly say that I had everything to do with it as she wasn't into fishing before I met her, and I taught her how to fly fish. She was a keeper in bed, too, not just in the river...

And now for some haiku:

Toothsome northern pike
Take my fly with great gusto
Then they cut me off.

Jonathon
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Dec 17, 2009December 17th, 2009, 9:59 am EST
There once was a Jon on the forum
who slighted the haiku decorum.
His first violation,
in this conversation;
one more and a ban's waiting for 'im.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Dec 17, 2009December 17th, 2009, 12:41 pm EST
Well, some just have to be rebellious from time to time. But I say if Jon can't conform after fair warning, ban him.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply