Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Amphizoa (Amphizoidae) Beetle Larva from Sears Creek in Washington
This is the first of it's family I've seen, collected from a tiny, fishless stream in the Cascades. The three species of this genus all live in the Northwest and are predators that primarily eat stonefly nymphs Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019).
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 5, 2010February 5th, 2010, 5:18 am EST
Considering I might be banned from this site I still took the chance of posting a picture of a non salmonoid. One of a couple of dozen smallmouth I was fortunate enough to land during the fall of 2009.

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Feb 5, 2010February 5th, 2010, 6:03 am EST
Hi Matt
Nice fish, I don't think your going to earn any demerits for a target fish. I think some one from Wisconsin posted some Pike pictures a while back, but you know how that is (If you can't catch real fish (Trout) then Pike will do. That should get a rise---No pun intended.

Will a Carp do.

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Feb 5, 2010February 5th, 2010, 7:43 am EST
Matt,

A bass like that makes his own rules! You could display that bad boy just about anywhere.

Spence

I have been hearing more and more about guys chasing carp with a fly rod...I'm going to have to look in to it.

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Feb 5, 2010February 5th, 2010, 9:44 am EST
Well, I posted dog mushing pictures the other day, so I would be hypocritical if I didn't allow a little leeway. Let's just not corrupt the place to the point that I have to register the carpnut.com domain name, too... ;)
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 5, 2010February 5th, 2010, 4:45 pm EST
The fishing this particular day was fast and furious. I hooked one and my partner hooked another one. So here we were fighting two big smallmouth and I asked him to take my picture holding both of them. We do very well September to early Novemeber but it is very difficult to even catch one like this before September.

The two fingers of my left hand are bent at the knuckles, not jammed into the gills of the fish.

Keystoner
Keystoner's profile picture
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

Keystoner on Feb 6, 2010February 6th, 2010, 6:45 am EST
Super cool. What rod and line weight do you use to fish BASS??
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 6, 2010February 6th, 2010, 7:04 am EST
9' WF#7 ST with a #1/0 hot yellow over yellow Clouser minnow.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 6, 2010February 6th, 2010, 12:15 pm EST
Just ask JAD what that carp took. I'll bet you'll be surprised. All I'll say is that he rose like a trout to the fly. Carpnut.com. Good one, Jason.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Feb 7, 2010February 7th, 2010, 2:05 am EST
Louis,

There is a river near Detroit here where a good friend of mine chases smallmouth. He said he was down there last summer and watched as a carp rose and sucked in Trico spinners that had formed mats on the water. I think he's working on a Trico mat fly.

Spence

I was just entering a river to start an evening of fishing...I had a small dry fly on and was squatted down, probably taking the rivers temp, and the fly had fallen out of my hands without me really knowing it. There was a tiny rapids in the shallows and the fly was sucked under and a small sucker took it. I laughed my ass off!
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 7, 2010February 7th, 2010, 2:22 am EST
As many of the eastern PA people probably know the Tully has a great Trico emergence beginning around July 01. The Tully also has quite a large population of carp, not monsters like some rivers, but fish in the 2# - 6# class. Once the Tricos have been on the water for about a week and thee are good numbers of them the carp will beging to actively feed on the spinners. I most often see them rising near the bank, seldom out in the flow, it is pretty neat to sneak up on them and throw that #22 spinner on 6X and see them come up and eat the fly.
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 7, 2010February 7th, 2010, 4:14 am EST
Yes it is, Matt. I've done it. But with 7X unfortunately. It took forever to get my fly back, and a crowd gathered until they saw it was just a carp, groaned, and went back to looking for late rising trout (most of which had been put down or released by that time).

--Fred Chappell
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Feb 7, 2010February 7th, 2010, 5:50 am EST
and a crowd gathered until they saw it was just a carp, groaned, and went back to looking for late rising trout

Louis, the next time that happens just say to the crowd: To hell with the trout I’m here to catch carp.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 7, 2010February 7th, 2010, 7:49 am EST
Hi Louis,

"But with 7X unfortunately. It took forever" When I am going to target the rising carp I take the 7X off and go with 6X as the carp are not as tippet conscious.
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Feb 7, 2010February 7th, 2010, 11:16 am EST
Another option here is to tie two spinners on the same but larger hook. I've heard them called "mating Tricos" or something like that. You could then use some tippet that's not so fragile. I think Matt said in this thread that they (Carp) may not be so leader shy.

Spence

Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Feb 9, 2010February 9th, 2010, 7:10 am EST
You guys can have the carp all to yourselves - but I'll take those bass any day!!! Why do you think I invented my Killer Bass Fly??

Jonathon

P.S. I've taken all of my bass on 3- and 5-weights - though this year I intend to go after some really big guys with my 8-weight...Still trying to catch a steelhead on it at this point in time...
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Flatstick96
Flatstick96's profile picture
Flatstick96 on Feb 9, 2010February 9th, 2010, 9:47 am EST
While I'd much rather be fishing for trout, I will admit that this year I'm looking forward to pursuing largemouths with Shawnny's "shad flies".

Scroll down this page for details:

http://www.davisflydesigns.com/whats-new

(sorry, I don't know how to make it a link)
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 10, 2010February 10th, 2010, 1:16 pm EST
Good tip, Matt. It was just for a lark--the trout were tapering off, when I spotted two or three big mouths sucking in the remaining tricos. I just wanted to see if I could put a fly in the right spot and get the carp to take. I hadn't thought much beyond that. But next time I'll certainly go for bigger tippet.

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply